-   -   chart doesn't format correctly (https://www.excelbanter.com/charts-charting-excel/88162-chart-doesnt-format-correctly.html)

enaes

chart doesn't format correctly

whenever i try to copy and paste information from a webpage and then
make a chart from that information the chart does not put the data in
the correct area of the chart. instead of using the data as data it
gives me all my data as a string of numbers in the legend and one dot
on the chart.

I'm assuming it has something to do with the formating because if i
retype all the numbers in by hand and do nothing but retype them, the
chart works fine.

I've tried pasting with past special and using all the different
options, i've tried reformating the cells as text and numbers and
general. the only way to solve this so far has been to retype
everything but when you have 150 lines of data it gets tedious, it's
also why I wanted to copy and paste instead of hand entering them in
the first place.

Thanks in advance for any help

--
enaes
enaes's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34338

David Biddulph

chart doesn't format correctly

"enaes" wrote in
message ...

whenever i try to copy and paste information from a webpage and then
make a chart from that information the chart does not put the data in
the correct area of the chart. instead of using the data as data it
gives me all my data as a string of numbers in the legend and one dot
on the chart.

I'm assuming it has something to do with the formating because if i
retype all the numbers in by hand and do nothing but retype them, the
chart works fine.

I've tried pasting with past special and using all the different
options, i've tried reformating the cells as text and numbers and
general. the only way to solve this so far has been to retype
everything but when you have 150 lines of data it gets tedious, it's
also why I wanted to copy and paste instead of hand entering them in
the first place.

Paste it in, but then when you've got your chart, look at Chart/ Source Data
and adjust the series to your needs.
--
David Biddulph