-   -   Extrapolation of a point on a graph/chart. (https://www.excelbanter.com/charts-charting-excel/85310-extrapolation-point-graph-chart.html)

ExcelCretin

Extrapolation of a point on a graph/chart.

I have constructed a graph which consists of plots joined by a line (basic
line graph). How do i find the value of a point on that graph (if x = 0.37
then y = ?) other than printing the graph off and manually drawing the lines
myself? Any pointers would be most welcome!

David Biddulph

"ExcelCretin" wrote in message
I have constructed a graph which consists of plots joined by a line (basic
line graph). How do i find the value of a point on that graph (if x = 0.37
then y = ?) other than printing the graph off and manually drawing the
lines
myself? Any pointers would be most welcome!

If you've fitted a straight line, use the LINEST function to get the
gradient and intercept of that line, and then use those coefficients to work
out the y value for your x value.
--
David Biddulph

ExcelCretin

Extrapolation of a point on a graph/chart.

Thanks for the prompt response David, unfortunately I constructed a 'scatter'
with lines. does this make a difference?

"David Biddulph" wrote:

"ExcelCretin" wrote in message
I have constructed a graph which consists of plots joined by a line (basic
line graph). How do i find the value of a point on that graph (if x = 0.37
then y = ?) other than printing the graph off and manually drawing the
lines
myself? Any pointers would be most welcome!

If you've fitted a straight line, use the LINEST function to get the
gradient and intercept of that line, and then use those coefficients to work
out the y value for your x value.
--
David Biddulph

Tushar Mehta

Extrapolation of a point on a graph/chart.

Use the LINEST function to get the coefficients in worksheet cells. For
more search the XL help for LINEST,

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions