Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
maggie

Default In Excel the Y axis title box cuts off the last letter.

The Y axis title box always cuts off the last letter no matter what type or
size of font. It doesn't matter how many letters either 5 or 15, the last one
is aways missing.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Bernard Liengme

A known bug (only some users experience it).
Workaround: add some dots (.....) to end of the title and format them with
font of the same colour as the title background.
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"maggie" wrote in message
The Y axis title box always cuts off the last letter no matter what type
or
size of font. It doesn't matter how many letters either 5 or 15, the last
one
is aways missing.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
David

A known bug (only some users experience it).
Workaround: add some dots (.....) to end of the title and format them with
font of the same colour as the title background.

Bernard, if it is a 'known' bug, why isn't there a better way to fix it?

I have tried the technique you passed onto Maggie, however I use excel quite
a bit (this forum is the only place I have found any information regarding my
troubles with the y axis labels) and it is so time consuming screwing around
with the fonts.

How else can this be fixed? Will a re-install help?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Andy Pope

Hi,

Here is an MSKB article on the subject.

You could try adding a non breaking space to the end of the text. Use
ALT+0160 (from the numeric key pad).

Cheers
Andy

David wrote:
A known bug (only some users experience it).
Workaround: add some dots (.....) to end of the title and format them with
font of the same colour as the title background.

Bernard, if it is a 'known' bug, why isn't there a better way to fix it?

I have tried the technique you passed onto Maggie, however I use excel quite
a bit (this forum is the only place I have found any information regarding my
troubles with the y axis labels) and it is so time consuming screwing around
with the fonts.

How else can this be fixed? Will a re-install help?

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
David

David wrote:
A known bug (only some users experience it).
Workaround: add some dots (.....) to end of the title and format them with
font of the same colour as the title background.

Bernard, if it is a 'known' bug, why isn't there a better way to fix it?

I have tried the technique you passed onto Maggie, however I use excel quite
a bit (this forum is the only place I have found any information regarding my
troubles with the y axis labels) and it is so time consuming screwing around
with the fonts.

How else can this be fixed? Will a re-install help?

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

Andy,

Many thanks for your speedy response and the handy URL.

You have brought much clarity to the issue.

Cheers mate
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
David

Although, just tried to change the screen ratios (as mentioned in the MSKB
article) and that didn't fix it.

How common is this problem and secondly, is there any chance of some sort of
patch/update will be made available by microsoft in order to rectify it?

The workaround method aforementioned by Bernard, whilst it works, is way too
time consuming.

David wrote:
A known bug (only some users experience it).
Workaround: add some dots (.....) to end of the title and format them with
font of the same colour as the title background.

Bernard, if it is a 'known' bug, why isn't there a better way to fix it?

I have tried the technique you passed onto Maggie, however I use excel quite
a bit (this forum is the only place I have found any information regarding my
troubles with the y axis labels) and it is so time consuming screwing around
with the fonts.

How else can this be fixed? Will a re-install help?

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Andy Pope

The question has been posted 3 times this week and I would say that's
normal.

As to MS fixing the problem, IMHO, not likely whilst their efforts are
directed towards Office 2007. As a patch to older xl version unlikely as
the problem is not always reproducible. I personally have not encounter
the truncating of chart titles on any of the hardware I use but I know
the problem exists.

Did the non breaking space solution not work for you?

Cheers
Andy

David wrote:

A known bug (only some users experience it).
Workaround: add some dots (.....) to end of the title and format them with
font of the same colour as the title background.

Bernard, if it is a 'known' bug, why isn't there a better way to fix it?

I have tried the technique you passed onto Maggie, however I use excel quite
a bit (this forum is the only place I have found any information regarding my
troubles with the y axis labels) and it is so time consuming screwing around
with the fonts.

How else can this be fixed? Will a re-install help?

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
David

Can't really blame them for that I guess :)

I just tried you non-break solution, however am using a notebook w/o number
pad.

But I do have an fn key and a number pad on the keyboard when fn is pressed.

Will that work?

If so, I am typing (whilst holding fn): ALT then 0160. Also tried ALT then +
then 0160 and both are not fixing the problem.

Looks like we all have to just put up or shut up

Thanks Andy

David wrote:

A known bug (only some users experience it).
Workaround: add some dots (.....) to end of the title and format them with
font of the same colour as the title background.

Bernard, if it is a 'known' bug, why isn't there a better way to fix it?

I have tried the technique you passed onto Maggie, however I use excel quite
a bit (this forum is the only place I have found any information regarding my
troubles with the y axis labels) and it is so time consuming screwing around
with the fonts.

How else can this be fixed? Will a re-install help?

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Andy Pope

fn+ALT_0160 works, adds a non breaking space, on my non numeric'd laptop.

You could try this in order to test for sure. In a cell enter the formula
="My title text" & CHAR(160)

copy and paste special values into another cell. Now copy and paste the
text, which should include the non breaking space, into the title.

Cheers
Andy

David wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

David,

I recently had the same problem with characters missing on the y-axis. One
workaround that is easy as thus far has worked is to add several spaces at
the end of the axis label then any character. The useless character is the
one that is now missing and your intended label is intact.

hope this helps,
Diane

David wrote:

A known bug (only some users experience it).
Workaround: add some dots (.....) to end of the title and format them with
font of the same colour as the title background.

Bernard, if it is a 'known' bug, why isn't there a better way to fix it?

I have tried the technique you passed onto Maggie, however I use excel quite
a bit (this forum is the only place I have found any information regarding my
troubles with the y axis labels) and it is so time consuming screwing around
with the fonts.

How else can this be fixed? Will a re-install help?

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I recently changed printers and came across this problem with both my chart
title and my y axis title, that I didn't have with my original printer. I
don't know what this alt + 0160 means, but by adding three spaces at the end
of the title and then the alt+0160 I got what I wanted.

Thank you for making this an easy fix.