Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
XYZZYX59

Default Help, I can't resize chart legends on my axes or titles

I only have this problem on this machine. Things work fine on all others

Running Office 2003 (SP2) on XP Pro (SP2) on an Inspiron 9300.

When I enter text into chart legends, it gets clipped and when I click on
the frame, Excel won't let me drag the frame wider. What could be causing
this?

If I copy the file to another computer and reopen, it's fine, everything
works, but if I copy it back the problem immediately returns.

I've run the update for Excel, I've updated my video drivers, nothing works.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
XYZZYX59

My apologies for taking up anyone's time. This problem has apparently been
"solved" about a hundred times already.

In case anyone missed it (like I did), see KB870698.

wide-screen monitors with 16:10 aspect ratios cause this problem. Microsoft
knows about it and Dell and everyone else keep selling widescreen monitors so
we can do spreadsheet work. As usual, the customer gets screwed. A shame
really, because it's probably a ten minute coding job to fix it.

If you've gotta use the wide screen, pad the text string with extra spaces
and a period at the end. This will trick Excel into showing the whole
string. The alternative (setting your monitor to 1024 X 768) will disappoint
and aggravate you.
"XYZZYX59" wrote:

I only have this problem on this machine. Things work fine on all others

Running Office 2003 (SP2) on XP Pro (SP2) on an Inspiron 9300.

When I enter text into chart legends, it gets clipped and when I click on
the frame, Excel won't let me drag the frame wider. What could be causing
this?

If I copy the file to another computer and reopen, it's fine, everything
works, but if I copy it back the problem immediately returns.

I've run the update for Excel, I've updated my video drivers, nothing works.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

Pad the string with spaces and a nonbreaking space: hold Alt while pressing
0160 on the numeric keypad. Then you don't have to worry about the period
showing on a normal monitor.

Note: this problem has existed long before the high AR monitors. It can also
be related to drivers, font sizes, window zoom, and apparently high tide
cycles.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services - Tutorials and Custom Solutions -
http://PeltierTech.com/
2006 Excel User Conference, 19-21 April, Atlantic City, NJ
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ExcelUserConf06.html
_______