Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jennifer

Default How do I fix my Stacked column chart with grand totals?

I have a series of data which includes different branches of the company (row
header) and different years (column headers). I want to create a stacked
chart with no labels or values shown, but with the data table at the bottom
of the chart.

Ideally, I would like the branches to be listed in alphabetical order (as
they appear in the original data worksheet). At the bottom of the data table
I would like to have the grand total (again, as it appears in the worksheet).
The glitch is that I do not want to have the grand total data included in
the chart (I only want it for information).

I have come up with a work-around solution to kind-of get what I want.
Instead of having the grand total at the bottom of the data table, I put it
at the top. I then select the grand total bars in the chart, select Format
Data Series, and choose 'none' for the border and area. I then change the
y-axis.

This work-around seems to do the job, except for two problems:

(1) I can't go back and undo what was done (e.g. I can't access the grand
total in the chart anymore;

(2) The grand total appears at the top of the data table, which is
counter-intuitive - usually people add up going down, not up.

Can anyone suggest another way to get Excel to do what I want it to? I
would greatly appreciate your help. BTW, we're using Excel 2000 in our
office, if that makes a difference.