-   -   How do I show a bigger gap between non equadistant dates in Excel (https://www.excelbanter.com/charts-charting-excel/65813-how-do-i-show-bigger-gap-between-non-equadistant-dates-excel.html)

Grace Poole

How do I show a bigger gap between non equadistant dates in Excel

I am so frustrated! I am trying to enter data that has 3 different dates not
equally distant and want to show on the associated chart that there is a
bigger gap between 1 and 2 (5 months) than between 2 and 3 (one month). Can
anyone please help.

Barb Reinhardt

How do I show a bigger gap between non equadistant dates in Excel

If you have a BAR chart, I'd suggest this. Let's say you have data for
1/05, 3/05 and 8/05. Why not have X labels for 1/05, 2/05, 3/05, 4/05, ...
8/05, but only enter Y values for the months of interest.

If you have a LINE chart, why not change it to XY Scatter.

"Grace Poole" <Grace wrote in message
I am so frustrated! I am trying to enter data that has 3 different dates
not
equally distant and want to show on the associated chart that there is a
bigger gap between 1 and 2 (5 months) than between 2 and 3 (one month).
Can
anyone please help.

Tushar Mehta

How do I show a bigger gap between non equadistant dates in Excel

Convert the x-axis to a 'time scale.' Select the chart, then select
Chart | Chart Options... | Axes tab. In there, set the Category (X)
axis to 'Time-scale'.

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article , "=?
Utf-8?B?R3JhY2UgUG9vbGU=?=" <Grace
says...
I am so frustrated! I am trying to enter data that has 3 different dates not
equally distant and want to show on the associated chart that there is a
bigger gap between 1 and 2 (5 months) than between 2 and 3 (one month). Can
anyone please help.

Jon Peltier

How do I show a bigger gap between non equadistant dates in Excel

Make sure that the values are interpreted by Excel as numerical dates, and
not just labels. Normally if Excel recognizes dates in the category range,
it will automatically select the time scale axis.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services