-   -   Positioning of y-axis scale (https://www.excelbanter.com/charts-charting-excel/56339-positioning-y-axis-scale.html)

James Silverton

Positioning of y-axis scale

Hello, All!

I hope this is not a FAQ but I have not been able to think of a
suitable search phrase. In one particular chart, I find it
convenient to have the y-axis on the *right* for quick reference
to the latest values. I know how to do that by adjusting the
crossing value (following Jon Peltier's instructions for an
x-axis) but the scale then appears *inside* the chart area not
outside where I would like it. If the axis were a secondary
axis, the scale would be positioned as I want it but I don't
think you can have a secondary axis without a primary, can you?
Again, to have identical primary *and* secondary axes might be a
possibility and even desirable but is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA

Andy Pope

Positioning of y-axis scale

Hi,

Double click the x axis and on the scale tab check Value (Y) axis
crosses at maximum category.

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

James Silverton

Positioning of y-axis scale

Andy wrote on Sat, 19 Nov 2005 15:32:49 +0000:

AP Double click the x axis and on the scale tab check Value
AP (Y) axis crosses at maximum category.

AP James Silverton wrote:
?? Hello, All!
??
?? I hope this is not a FAQ but I have not been able to think
?? of a suitable search phrase. In one particular chart, I
?? find it convenient to have the y-axis on the *right* for
?? quick reference to the latest values. I know how to do
?? that by adjusting the crossing value (following Jon
?? Peltier's instructions for an x-axis) but the scale then
?? appears *inside* the chart area not outside where I would
?? like it. If the axis were a secondary axis, the scale
?? would be positioned as I want it but I don't think you can
?? have a secondary axis without a primary, can you? Again,
?? to have identical primary *and* secondary axes might be a
?? possibility and even desirable but is this possible?

Thanks, that is essentially what Jon Peltier suggested, tho for
the y-axis I used a crossing value much larger than can
anticipated. However the problem of the placing of the *scale*
remains, which appears to the *left* of the markers; in other
words on the graph.

James Silverton.

James Silverton

Positioning of y-axis scale

James wrote to Andy Pope on Sat, 19 Nov 2005 13:53:11 -0500:

AP Double click the x axis and on the scale tab check Value
AP (Y) axis crosses at maximum category.

AP James Silverton wrote (and was wrong.....JVS! )

Thank you Andy, that does exactly what I wanted with the scale
to the right. The prescription I was using is correct for
placing the x-axis at the bottom of a chart since there is no
choice to get the x-axis to cross at a minimum. Sorry about the
far too quick and wrong reply.

James Silverton.