-   -   Excel gives me line plots - I want scatter plots (https://www.excelbanter.com/charts-charting-excel/50417-excel-gives-me-line-plots-i-want-scatter-plots.html)

Pangloss

Excel gives me line plots - I want scatter plots

Sometimes when I ask for a scatter plot (x and y data) it gives me a line
plot (only y data vs point number). When I look at 'Source data' the series
are correct. Only the plot is wrong, and I can't convince the program to do
things differently.

Jon Peltier

Some of your X data might be non-numeric. Remove the horizontal
alignment formatting in that column: if any cells are not right aligned,
then it doesn't contain numerical data.

To fix: (a) choose Cells from the Format menu, click on the Number tab,
and choose an appropriate number format. (b) copy a blank cell, select
the cells that need fixing, and use Paste Special from the Edit menu,
and choose the Values and Operation - Add options.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services