Ann Kelley

Default Multiple data in series

I am trying to put multiple date in a series on an Excel chart (Excel
2000). I have two values that I want to show in one month. I want the
series to have seperate colors by value but totaled for the month. For
example, in June 2005, there is $200 in sales of cookies and $200 in
sales of candy. I want to show $400 in sales, but show the series as
$200 (green) indicating cookies and $200 (yellow) indicating candy.

--
Ann Kelley
Ann Kelley's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27590

Pim

Hi Anne-
I think this is what your after: a stacked column graph.
put the data in table format:
Month $Cookies $Candy

Select the whole table and make a chart (either click the chart icon,
or select chart from the insert menu) This will start the chart wizard,
choose column as chart type and stacked column (top row, second from the
left) as the sub type. The wizard will walk you through the rest.
Good luck,
pim

--
Pim
Pim's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27565

Ann Kelley

What I have is data for January through Decemer for the years 2002 -
2005. Now I need to start seperating data for each month in two
catagories. I don't even know if it is possible to have a stacked
column chart. I need a chart that shows at the bottom each month
grouped together with a series for each year. Then starting in June of
2005, showing two values in one series stacked. Like all this time
until June 2005 we were counting cookies and candy as sales together
but now we want to show in the single series stacked the total of
cookies and candy.

--
Ann Kelley
Ann Kelley's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27590
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=471114

Jon Peltier

Did you try Pim's suggestion?

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Ann Kelley wrote:

What I have is data for January through Decemer for the years 2002 -
2005. Now I need to start seperating data for each month in two
catagories. I don't even know if it is possible to have a stacked
column chart. I need a chart that shows at the bottom each month
grouped together with a series for each year. Then starting in June of
2005, showing two values in one series stacked. Like all this time
until June 2005 we were counting cookies and candy as sales together
but now we want to show in the single series stacked the total of
cookies and candy.

Pim

Hi Ann
hm...
well, try this as an example and see if it looks right-
if not, indicate what's off and we'll go from the
(that way you don't have to go through the pain of formatting your
data-
then finding out this isn't quite right)

type in into an new sheet:
cell a1:Month
B1: Total Cookies
C1:Total Candy

A2: June
B2:500
C2: 750

A3: July
B3: 250
C3: 350

A4: August
B4: 450
C4: 500

highlight the cells in A1:C4 and start the chart wizard-
and take it from the first post.
If you're looking for an easy way to separate the data, that's a whole
new ball game
;)

--
Pim
Pim's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27565
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=471114

Ann Kelley

I did try Pim's suggestion. Pim, your last entry I tried and it worked
although I have too much data for the graph to look right. On the left
column, the data is months. At the top I have years 2002-2005. In June
2005, my supervisor decided that we need to split out the data and he
wants to show the data in the same column for that month but show it in
different "colors" indicating the split data. He still wants the graph
to show the years 2002-2005. I guess I am coming to think that there
is no way to have a stacked graph that will show the data the way it
will look presentable. Thanks for your help! :)

--
Ann Kelley
Ann Kelley's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27590
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=471114

Jon Peltier

What is good about Pim's suggestion and bad about its use with your data? Why does
"too much data" make the chart not look right? How do you need to change its
formatting to make it presentable?

- Jon
-------

Ann Kelley wrote:
I did try Pim's suggestion. Pim, your last entry I tried and it worked
although I have too much data for the graph to look right. On the left
column, the data is months. At the top I have years 2002-2005. In June
2005, my supervisor decided that we need to split out the data and he
wants to show the data in the same column for that month but show it in
different "colors" indicating the split data. He still wants the graph
to show the years 2002-2005. I guess I am coming to think that there
is no way to have a stacked graph that will show the data the way it
will look presentable. Thanks for your help! :)

Ann Kelley

What was good about Pim's suggestion was I was able to show the data for
June 2005 stacked. My original chart has the labels at the bottom for
just the month and they are grouped. So the first group is January and
there are 4 bars showing each year under that label. The next label is
February and so on. When I changed the graph to Pim's suggestion, the
months are no longer grouped. Each column shows the data label as
"Jan-02", "Jan-03", etc. I want the chart to look like my original
chart showing the groups with individual columns for the year and to
start stacking the figures for each month (2 different values).

Thanks,
Ann

--
Ann Kelley
Ann Kelley's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27590
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=471114

Jon Peltier

I'm having a little trouble visualizing this (sorry, it's getting late). Perhaps it
would help if you included a sample of your data, so we can see how it's arranged,
then explain to us what's clustered and what's stacked. (Make sure you type slowly,
so we can keep up!)

- Jon
-------

Ann Kelley wrote:

What was good about Pim's suggestion was I was able to show the data for
June 2005 stacked. My original chart has the labels at the bottom for
just the month and they are grouped. So the first group is January and
there are 4 bars showing each year under that label. The next label is
February and so on. When I changed the graph to Pim's suggestion, the
months are no longer grouped. Each column shows the data label as
"Jan-02", "Jan-03", etc. I want the chart to look like my original
chart showing the groups with individual columns for the year and to
start stacking the figures for each month (2 different values).

Thanks,
Ann

Ann Kelley

I just added my excel spreadsheet.

--
Ann Kelley
Ann Kelley's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27590
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=471114

Ann Kelley

Okay, I thought I uploaded the spreadsheet! Not sure where it went.