-   -   Help with charts. (https://www.excelbanter.com/charts-charting-excel/46257-help-charts.html)

HRassist

Help with charts.

I'm creating a mail merge in Word, using a large Excel data source. The
file contains multiple names, with various associated data.
I want to create an individualized chart for each name, using data
associated with their name in the Excel data source file. One customized
chart per name, merged into the Word document.

Can this be done.

I cannot figure out how to merge data into a chart.--- or is there a better
way?

Please help if you can..

Tushar Mehta

In article ,
says...
I'm creating a mail merge in Word, using a large Excel data source. The
file contains multiple names, with various associated data.
I want to create an individualized chart for each name, using data
associated with their name in the Excel data source file. One customized
chart per name, merged into the Word document.

Can this be done.

I cannot figure out how to merge data into a chart.--- or is there a better
way?

Please help if you can..

What you want to do is something that is requested every so often.
However, there is no native way to do it nor is there a simple
workaround to the problem.

In fact, the only solution I can think of is rather complicated. It
would involve creating a mail merge document with the chart showing some
arbitrary data. Once the merged document is ready, a macro would then
go through the document and update the charts to contain the correct
data for each individual. At this point one could print the document,
separate the pages, and distribute them to the appropriate individuals.

An alternative may be to find an add-in that supports this capability.
I don't know of any such add-in or even if one exists and if it does
whether it is free or a priced item.

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Multi-disciplinary business expertise
+ Technology skills
= Optimal solution to your business problem
Recipient Microsoft MVP award 2000-2005

Jon Peltier

Tushar Mehta wrote:

In fact, the only solution I can think of is rather complicated. It
would involve creating a mail merge document with the chart showing some
arbitrary data. Once the merged document is ready, a macro would then
go through the document and update the charts to contain the correct
data for each individual. At this point one could print the document,
separate the pages, and distribute them to the appropriate individuals.

And then having to use a macro, I'd dispense with the whole mail merge
thing, and directly make each Word document from a Word template, using
Excel VBA to put the appropriate information into the appropriate spaces
in the document, create the chart with the correct information and move
it into Word, and save the document.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Tushar Mehta

Hi Jon,

I thought of dispensing with Word mail merge altogether but that would
require duplicating its capability and I did not want to reinvent *that*
wheel. {grin}

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

Tushar Mehta wrote:

[...]

ok.... if it is going to be a lengthy process... where can I find out how to use macros?

Jon Peltier

Yeah, but it'd be a round wheel this time, without corners.

- Jon
-------