-   -   Excel 2003 - Chart Data Label positions (https://www.excelbanter.com/charts-charting-excel/446273-excel-2003-chart-data-label-positions.html)

excellearner

Excel 2003 - Chart Data Label positions

Hi

I have the below chart in Excel 2003:

The data labels are dynamic and link to data which changes each month. I want to be able to set the data labels so that they change position depending on the data displayed.

If the data label is negative, I want to show the label below the bar. If it is positive, I want to show it above the bar. Does anyone know how I can acheive this without manually moving the data labels each month?

Thanks in advance!

PIMP MY CHART

Quote:

Originally Posted by excellearner (Post 1602507)
Hi

I have the below chart in Excel 2003:

The data labels are dynamic and link to data which changes each month. I want to be able to set the data labels so that they change position depending on the data displayed.

If the data label is negative, I want to show the label below the bar. If it is positive, I want to show it above the bar. Does anyone know how I can acheive this without manually moving the data labels each month?

Thanks in advance!

You need to add two dummy series (line or better XY scatter) just for the labels.
Use an IF function to only assign values to these series if they are positive / negative.
When done switch labels on and hide the line!