-   -   Group two columns (https://www.excelbanter.com/charts-charting-excel/36192-group-two-columns.html)

John Sawyer

Group two columns

Hi,

I was wondering if there was a way to take two rows (that appear as columns
in a bar chart) and group them side by side.

Reason being:
I have left and right side measurements of a part, I'd like to try to get
them together so that you can see how much they are off from eachother as
well as being able to compare them to all the other parts in the list.

Thanks

Barb Reinhardt

I'm not sure what you are asking. I'm thinking you want a clustered column
chart, but need to confirm.

"John Sawyer" wrote in message

I was wondering if there was a way to take two rows (that appear as
columns
in a bar chart) and group them side by side.

Reason being:
I have left and right side measurements of a part, I'd like to try to get
them together so that you can see how much they are off from eachother as
well as being able to compare them to all the other parts in the list.

Thanks

John Sawyer

It might be but I can't get the clustered part to work correctly I guess.
Whenever I use that I get separate columns for each part. In the excel sheet
I would have:

Part1 L | 1.2
Part1 R | 2.0
Part2 L | .9
Part2 R | 3.0

The numbers are what I'm plotting. I'd like to have the Part1 Left and Right
show up together as a grouped column so that each bar still has a separate
color so that they are easily distinguishable. I'm not sure how unclear I've
made it, but I don't really know how else to describe it.

Thank you for your help

"Barb Reinhardt" wrote:

I'm not sure what you are asking. I'm thinking you want a clustered column
chart, but need to confirm.

"John Sawyer" wrote in message

I was wondering if there was a way to take two rows (that appear as
columns
in a bar chart) and group them side by side.

Reason being:
I have left and right side measurements of a part, I'd like to try to get
them together so that you can see how much they are off from eachother as
well as being able to compare them to all the other parts in the list.

Thanks

Jon Peltier

John -

Use a pivot table to rearrange your data like this:

Left Right
Part 1 1.2 2.0
Part 2 0.9 3.0
Part N etc.

Plot this rearranged data as a clustered column chart.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services