-   -   Data Range Mess (https://www.excelbanter.com/charts-charting-excel/33987-data-range-mess.html)

Karen

Data Range Mess

I am using the following raw data for my line chart. In this case I have 5
charts on each sheet tab. One for Bolts, one for Nuts and so on.. I also
have 25 sheet tabs for each customer. The way it's set up now is that the
line chart only covers the data range of year 2002, 2003 & 2004. When I want
to add each year I have to go into 5 charts on each tab and 25 tabs for each
customer to select that data range. Initially, It should have been set up to
highlight the data range up an until year 2008 so I could just plug in the
numbers for each year and that data would populate the chart. Should I just
go into each chart and each tab and highlight the data until 2008 or is there
an easier way to do this so I don't have to do all that highlighting?

Thank you, Karen

2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007
2008
Bolts 2145 2500 3245
Nuts 5214 5628 5487
Screws 526 650 698
Elbows 457 487 412
Nails 1248 1348 1578

bj

Record a macro changing the range in the charts in one sheet.
you may have to change it a little, but should able to just run the macro
on each sheet to change all of the ranges.

"Karen" wrote:

[...]

Thank you for your help - I created the macro in the first sheet tab and when
I run it for the 2nd tab, the 3rd tab and so on - It applies the data from
the first tab. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you

"Karen" wrote:

[...]

Jon Peltier

The macro must have the first sheet's name hard-coded in it. You can
change it to the active sheet:

For example, change this

Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A1:B2")

or this

Worksheets(1).Range("A1:B2")

to this

ActiveSheet.Range("A1:B2")

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

"Karen" wrote:

[...]

Thank you for your help - I'm not sure what you mean by "The macro must have
the first sheet's name hard-coded in it." How should I do the hard-coding?

This is what I have to do:
I click on each chart and go to Chart Source Data
Select the source data up to the current year
Then in the Source Data dialog box, I click the series tab and select the
Category (x) axis labels

Please help me with this - I have to have this done by Monday
Thank you

"Karen" wrote:

[...]

Karen -

Sorry, I didn't mean you must (as in 'thou shalt') hard-code it, I meant
that it's likely to already be hard-coded, based on your description and
on how the macro recorder does things.

Post your code and someone here will have a crack at it.

- Jon
-------

"Karen" wrote:

[...]

Thank you for offering your help - Here's my code:

Sub Update()
'
' Update Macro
' Macro recorded 7/10/2005 by Karen
'

'
ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 1").Activate
ActiveChart.ChartArea.Select
ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).XValues = "=ALEXIAN!R2C2:R2C9"
ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(2).XValues = "=ALEXIAN!R2C2:R2C9"
ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(3).XValues = "=ALEXIAN!R2C2:R2C9"
ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(4).XValues = "=ALEXIAN!R2C2:R2C9"
ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(5).XValues = "=ALEXIAN!R2C2:R2C9"
ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(6).XValues = "=ALEXIAN!R2C2:R2C9"
ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(7).XValues = "=ALEXIAN!R2C2:R2C9"
ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(8).XValues = "=ALEXIAN!R2C2:R2C9"
ActiveWindow.Visible = False
Windows("HospitalGraphs.xls").Activate
ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 4").Activate
ActiveChart.ChartArea.Select
ActiveChart.SetSourceData Source:=Sheets("ALEXIAN").Range("B5:I5"),
PlotBy _
:=xlRows
ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).XValues = "=ALEXIAN!R2C2:R2C9"
ActiveWindow.Visible = False
Windows("HospitalGraphs.xls").Activate
ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 5").Activate
ActiveChart.ChartArea.Select
ActiveChart.SetSourceData Source:=Sheets("ALEXIAN").Range("B6:I6"),
PlotBy _
:=xlRows
ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).XValues = "=ALEXIAN!R2C2:R2C9"
ActiveWindow.Visible = False
Windows("HospitalGraphs.xls").Activate
ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 6").Activate
ActiveChart.ChartArea.Select
ActiveChart.SetSourceData Source:=Sheets("ALEXIAN").Range("B7:I7"),
PlotBy _
:=xlRows
ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).XValues = "=ALEXIAN!R2C2:R2C9"
Windows("HospitalGraphs.xls").SmallScroll Down:=13
ActiveWindow.Visible = False
Windows("HospitalGraphs.xls").Activate
ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 7").Activate
ActiveChart.ChartArea.Select
Windows("HospitalGraphs.xls").SmallScroll Down:=-12
ActiveChart.SetSourceData Source:=Sheets("ALEXIAN").Range("B9:I9"),
PlotBy _
:=xlRows
ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).XValues = "=ALEXIAN!R9C2:R9C9"
Windows("HospitalGraphs.xls").SmallScroll Down:=24
ActiveWindow.Visible = False
Windows("HospitalGraphs.xls").Activate
ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 8").Activate
ActiveChart.ChartArea.Select
Windows("HospitalGraphs.xls").SmallScroll Down:=-36
ActiveChart.SetSourceData Source:=Sheets("ALEXIAN").Range("B10:I10"),
PlotBy _
:=xlRows
ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).XValues = "=ALEXIAN!R2C2:R2C9"
Windows("HospitalGraphs.xls").SmallScroll Down:=32
ActiveWindow.Visible = False
Windows("HospitalGraphs.xls").Activate
ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 9").Activate
ActiveChart.ChartArea.Select
Windows("HospitalGraphs.xls").SmallScroll Down:=-30
ActiveChart.SetSourceData Source:=Sheets("ALEXIAN").Range("B11:I11"),
PlotBy _
:=xlRows
ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).XValues = "=ALEXIAN!R2C2:R2C9"
Windows("HospitalGraphs.xls").SmallScroll Down:=39
ActiveWindow.Visible = False
Windows("HospitalGraphs.xls").Activate
ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 10").Activate
ActiveChart.ChartArea.Select
Windows("HospitalGraphs.xls").SmallScroll Down:=-42
ActiveChart.SetSourceData Source:=Sheets("ALEXIAN").Range("B14:I14"),
PlotBy _
:=xlRows
ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).XValues = "=ALEXIAN!R2C2:R2C9"
Windows("HospitalGraphs.xls").SmallScroll Down:=-18
End Sub

"Karen" wrote:

[...]

Your macro-recorded code has the worksheet name built into the macro:

ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).XValues = "=ALEXIAN!R2C2:R2C9"

You can make the statement above refer to the active sheet like this:

ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).XValues = ActiveSheet.Range("B2:I2")

Also, change this statement:

"Karen" wrote:

[...]

As I suspected, your macro-recorded code has the worksheet name built
into the macro:

ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).XValues = "=ALEXIAN!R2C2:R2C9"

You can make the statement above refer to the active sheet like this:

ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).XValues = ActiveSheet.Range("B2:I2")

Also, change this statement:

ActiveChart.SetSourceData Source:=Sheets("ALEXIAN").Range("B5:I5"),
PlotBy _
:=xlRows

to this:

ActiveChart.SetSourceData Source:=ActiveSheet.Range("B5:I5"), _
PlotBy:=xlRows

and make similar changes in the rest of your code.

- Jon
-------

"Karen" wrote:

[...]

Thanks again for your help
I changed all the code you mentioned and I ran the macro and I'm getting a
runtime error - It highlights the following code:
ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 9").Activate
What have I done wrong?

Below is the completed code for my macro after the changes.

Sub Update()
'
' Update Macro
' Macro recorded 7/11/2005 by Karen A. Whalen
'

'
ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 1").Activate
ActiveChart.ChartArea.Select
Windows("GRAPHS FOR ALL HOSPITALS-FOR 8 YEARS
1998-2005.xls").SmallScroll Down _
:=-9
ActiveChart.SetSourceData Source:=ActiveSheet.Range("B4:I4"), _
PlotBy:=xlRows
ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).XValues = ActiveSheet.Range("B2:I2")
ActiveWindow.Visible = False
Windows("GRAPHS FOR ALL HOSPITALS-FOR 8 YEARS 1998-2005.xls").Activate
ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 4").Activate
ActiveChart.ChartArea.Select
ActiveChart.SetSourceData Source:=ActiveSheet.Range("B5:I5"), _
PlotBy:=xlRows
ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).XValues = ActiveSheet.Range("B2:I2")
Windows("GRAPHS FOR ALL HOSPITALS-FOR 8 YEARS
1998-2005.xls").SmallScroll Down _
:=6
ActiveWindow.Visible = False
Windows("GRAPHS FOR ALL HOSPITALS-FOR 8 YEARS 1998-2005.xls").Activate
ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 5").Activate
ActiveChart.ChartArea.Select
ActiveChart.SetSourceData Source:=ActiveSheet.Range("B6:I6"), _
PlotBy:=xlRows
ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).XValues = ActiveSheet.Range("B2:I2")
Windows("GRAPHS FOR ALL HOSPITALS-FOR 8 YEARS
1998-2005.xls").SmallScroll Down _
:=6
ActiveWindow.Visible = False
Windows("GRAPHS FOR ALL HOSPITALS-FOR 8 YEARS 1998-2005.xls").Activate
ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 6").Activate
ActiveChart.ChartArea.Select
ActiveChart.SetSourceData Source:=ActiveSheet.Range("B7:I7"), _
PlotBy:=xlRows
ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).XValues = ActiveSheet.Range("B2:I2")
Windows("GRAPHS FOR ALL HOSPITALS-FOR 8 YEARS
1998-2005.xls").SmallScroll Down _
:=21
ActiveWindow.Visible = False
Windows("GRAPHS FOR ALL HOSPITALS-FOR 8 YEARS 1998-2005.xls").Activate
ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 7").Activate
ActiveChart.ChartArea.Select
ActiveChart.SetSourceData Source:=ActiveSheet.Range("B9:I9"), _
PlotBy:=xlRows
ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).XValues = ActiveSheet.Range("B2:I2")
Windows("GRAPHS FOR ALL HOSPITALS-FOR 8 YEARS
1998-2005.xls").SmallScroll Down _
:=27
ActiveWindow.Visible = False
Windows("GRAPHS FOR ALL HOSPITALS-FOR 8 YEARS 1998-2005.xls").Activate
ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 8").Activate
ActiveChart.ChartArea.Select
ActiveChart.SetSourceData Source:=ActiveSheet.Range("B10:I10"), _
PlotBy:=xlRows

ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).XValues = ActiveSheet.Range("B2:I2")
Windows("GRAPHS FOR ALL HOSPITALS-FOR 8 YEARS
1998-2005.xls").SmallScroll Down _
:=30
ActiveWindow.Visible = False
Windows("GRAPHS FOR ALL HOSPITALS-FOR 8 YEARS 1998-2005.xls").Activate
ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 9").Activate
ActiveChart.ChartArea.Select
ActiveChart.SetSourceData Source:=ActiveSheet.Range("B11:I11"), _
PlotBy:=xlRows
ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).XValues = ActiveSheet.Range("B2:I2")
Windows("GRAPHS FOR ALL HOSPITALS-FOR 8 YEARS
1998-2005.xls").SmallScroll Down _
:=42
ActiveWindow.Visible = False
Windows("GRAPHS FOR ALL HOSPITALS-FOR 8 YEARS 1998-2005.xls").Activate
ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 10").Activate
ActiveChart.ChartArea.Select
Windows("GRAPHS FOR ALL HOSPITALS-FOR 8 YEARS
1998-2005.xls").SmallScroll Down _
:=-48
ActiveChart.SetSourceData Source:=ActiveSheet.Range("B14:I14"), _
PlotBy:=xlRows
ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).XValues = ActiveSheet.Range("B2:I2")
Windows("GRAPHS FOR ALL HOSPITALS-FOR 8 YEARS
1998-2005.xls").SmallScroll Down _
:=-18
ActiveWindow.Visible = False
Windows("GRAPHS FOR ALL HOSPITALS-FOR 8 YEARS 1998-2005.xls").Activate
Range("A1").Select
End Sub

"Karen" wrote:

[...]

Does the active sheet have a chart object named "Chart 9"?

How many charts are there on each worksheet? If it's only one, you can use

ActiveSheet.ChartObjects(1).Activate

for them all. Otherwise you can give them all descriptive names, to make
it easier to know which one you are calling:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsH...ameAChart.html

- Jon
-------

"Karen" wrote:

[...]

There are 8 charts on each tab - How can I check to see what object name has
been assigned to each chart? Looking at my code, I have chart 1,4,5,6,7,8,9,
& 10.
If I change the object name for each chart, will I only have to change the
following code lines:
ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 1").Activate
ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 4").Activate
ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 5").Activate
etc...

"Karen" wrote:

[...]

The page I linked shows how to find the name: Hold Shift while selecting
a chart, then look in the Name Box. Change the name by typing something
new in the Name Box.

If you rename a chart as "Profit Chart", you need to change the line in
question to

ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Profit Chart").Activate

- Jon
-------

"Karen" wrote:

[...]

Thank you so much for stepping me through this. What you have told me to do
works great. I couldnt have done it without you. The problem was, the
first tab (the one I used to create the macro) the chart objects were named
Chart 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10. On all the other sheet tabs, the chart
objects were 1 thru 8. Thank you very much. I have learned a lot from this.

"Karen" wrote:

[...]

I suspected a problem with the chart names, especially last post, when
you said there were eight per sheet, but one was named "Chart 9". Glad
it's working.

- Jon
-------

"Karen" wrote:

[...]

I have one more question - For some reason, I'm unable to change the name of
each chart on the first tab ONLY. I followed the instructions by using the
name box and the chart name does not change. It's the first tab only.
Any ideas?

Thanks

"Karen" wrote:

[...]

The sheet has no protection, does it? Is it easy enough to make a copy
of the sheet, rename the charts on the copied sheet, and delete the
original?

- Jon
-------

"Karen" wrote:

[...]

lisapizza

Data Range Mess

"Karen" wrote:

[...]

Sorry, I didn't mean that the macro had to have the sheet's name hard coded
in order to work. I meant that the recorded macro has the first sheet's name
hard-coded in it, because recorded macros record exactly what you do. In my
post, I suggested changing the place in the macro with this hard coded sheet
name, something like

Worksheets("Sheet1")

ActiveSheet

- Jon