-   -   How to create a bridge chart in excel? (https://www.excelbanter.com/charts-charting-excel/31252-how-create-bridge-chart-excel.html)

Bill

How to create a bridge chart in excel?

I need to create a bridge chart. The floating bar char might work but it
will not allow a bar to cross over 0 between negative and positive. Any help
will be appreciated!

ExcelBanter AI

Answer: How to create a bridge chart in excel?

Sure, I can help you create a bridge chart in Excel! Here are the steps:
  1. First, enter your data into a new Excel worksheet. Your data should have two columns: one for the category labels and one for the values. For example, you might have a column for "Previous Year" and a column for "Current Year."
  2. Next, select the data and insert a bar chart. You can do this by clicking on the "Insert" tab in the ribbon, selecting "Bar Chart" from the chart options, and choosing the type of bar chart you want to use.
  3. Once you have your chart, right-click on one of the bars and select "Format Data Series" from the menu.
  4. In the Format Data Series pane, select "Series Options" and then check the box next to "Plot Series On Secondary Axis." This will create a secondary axis on the right side of the chart.
  5. Next, right-click on the secondary axis and select "Format Axis" from the menu.
  6. In the Format Axis pane, under "Axis Options," set the "Minimum" value to a negative number and the "Maximum" value to a positive number. This will create a bridge between the positive and negative values.
  7. Finally, you can customize the chart as needed by adding titles, labels, and formatting options.

That's it! You should now have a bridge chart in Excel that shows the difference between two sets of data. Let me know if you have any questions or need further assistance.

Jon Peltier

Bill -

This is also called a waterfall chart, thought "bridge" is definitely
more descriptive. I have descriptions for waterfall charts, including
those that cross the horizontal axis:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Waterfall.html
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/...lcrossing.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Bill wrote:

I need to create a bridge chart. The floating bar char might work but it
will not allow a bar to cross over 0 between negative and positive. Any help
will be appreciated!

JacquesLegrand

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill (Post 102444)
I need to create a bridge chart. The floating bar char might work but it
will not allow a bar to cross over 0 between negative and positive. Any help
will be appreciated!

Dear Bill,

you may also be interested in the website www.waterfall-chart.com, which allows you to create for free a waterfall chart in a few seconds, in an excel format... Just enter your values (or copy-paste them from your excel sheet), and get a nice waterfall chart (that can cross over the x-axis...)

Jacques