Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default why won't excel allow me to add more data to a chart?

For some of my data I skip days for collecting it so I use the shift key to
click on the days I do want in the chart. I have been doing this for awhile
but now that I'm obtaining more points it has simply stopped letting me add
data points. When I click on the one where it stops collecting it erases all
of the others I have clicked and makes a stop noise. I need to add more data
so why won't it let me??
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

There is a finite limit on the length of the series formula, ~1024
characters.

So this example is for a series with 3 data points in cells A2:B4.
=SERIES(,Sheet1!$A$2:$A$4,Sheet1!$B$2:$B$4,1)

If I use the SHIFT key and select each row individually the formula grows to
=SERIES(,(Sheet1!$A$2,Sheet1!$A$3,Sheet1!$A$4),(Sh eet1!$B$2,Sheet1!$B$3,Sheet1!$B$4),1)

The simplest way around this is to create a contiguous range of chart data.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel