-   -   Data labels on a stacked chart (https://www.excelbanter.com/charts-charting-excel/25650-data-labels-stacked-chart.html)

whouser

Data labels on a stacked chart

I have a simple stacked bar chart, but i would like to display the total for
the two items stacked for each bar. For example, hearth is $100 and is
stacked over Indoor with a value of $200. I can display the data label of
each, but would like to display $300 instead.

John Mansfield

whouser,

There are several ways that you can do this. One way is to create a
secondary reference that consists of the data labels. For example, assume
you have this data for your stacked bar chart.

Series1 Series2
a 100 200
b 150 250
c 125 100

Set up an additional reference that adds the data for the two series together.

Series1 Series2 Labels
a 100 200 300
b 150 250 400
c 125 100 225

Then use a data labeling tool or macro to connect a reference from Series2
to Labels. You can find a list of where to get those tools he

http://www.pdbook.com/index.php/exce...t_data_labels/

John Mansfield
http://www.pdbook.com

"whouser" wrote:

I have a simple stacked bar chart, but i would like to display the total for
the two items stacked for each bar. For example, hearth is $100 and is
stacked over Indoor with a value of $200. I can display the data label of
each, but would like to display $300 instead.

Andy Pope

Hi,

Here is a way using the data labels of an extra data series.
http://www.andypope.info/charts/StackColTotal.htm

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

whouser

Thanks, guys. This works great. I appreciate both your answers.