-   -   count number of cells (https://www.excelbanter.com/charts-charting-excel/255114-count-number-cells.html)

tagout

count number of cells

What is the formula to count the number of cells that start with a particular
character? What I really want to do is count how the number of cells in a
column that start with a through e. I have tried several things but can't
quite come up with the magic formula. thanks for your help.

David Biddulph[_2_]

count number of cells

=COUNTIF(A1:A20,"A*")+COUNTIF(A1:A20,"B*")+COUNTIF (A1:A20,"C*")+COUNTIF(A1:A20,"D*")+COUNTIF(A1:A20, "E*")
--
David Biddulph

"tagout" wrote in message
What is the formula to count the number of cells that start with a
particular
character? What I really want to do is count how the number of cells in a
column that start with a through e. I have tried several things but can't
quite come up with the magic formula. thanks for your help.

vttotal

count number of cells

The COUNTIF Function should be used for that.

When using the Countif:

Countif(Select all the cells you want to review, What is the criteria you
want to count, e.g: "e*")

Hope this helps,

Vicente