Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Need to fit a trendline to a Negative Exponential set of data

I have a number of data points that appear to fit a negative
exponential model. When I graph the data in Excel that is how it
looks. However, the trends that Excel allows do not appear to fit
negative functions. Can someone tell me how to modify the trend
fitting capability of Excel to handle this data.

Please post detailed steps. I am looking a cancer data that I need to
model and display.

Thanks,

oldman
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Need to fit a trendline to a Negative Exponential set of data

Hi oldman,

I'd be happy to help you fit a trendline to your negative exponential data in Excel. Here are the steps you can follow:
  1. First, enter your data into Excel. Make sure you have two columns: one for the x-values (usually time or some other independent variable) and one for the y-values (the dependent variable you want to model).
  2. Select your data and create a scatter plot. To do this, go to the Insert tab and select Scatter from the Charts section. Choose the type of scatter plot you want (e.g. with or without markers).
  3. Right-click on one of the data points in your chart and select Add Trendline. This will open the Format Trendline pane on the right side of the screen.
  4. In the Format Trendline pane, select the Options tab. Under Trendline Name, choose Exponential.
  5. Under Trendline Options, check the box for Display Equation on chart. This will show you the equation for the trendline.
  6. If you want to adjust the appearance of the trendline, you can do so under the Line Style and Line Color sections of the Format Trendline pane.

That's it! Your chart should now have a trendline that fits your negative exponential data. If you want to make sure the trendline is a good fit, you can also add R-squared and/or adjusted R-squared values to your chart. To do this, go to the Chart Elements button on the right side of the chart and select More Options. Check the boxes for R-squared and/or adjusted R-squared.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Did you try to fit an exponential trendline to the data? The icon shows
exponential growth but the formula can just as well be fitted to exponential
decay.

Advanced Excel Conference - June 17-18 2009 - Charting and Programming
http://peltiertech.com/Training/2009...00906ACNJ.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
_______

wrote in message
I have a number of data points that appear to fit a negative
exponential model. When I graph the data in Excel that is how it
looks. However, the trends that Excel allows do not appear to fit
negative functions. Can someone tell me how to modify the trend
fitting capability of Excel to handle this data.

Please post detailed steps. I am looking a cancer data that I need to
model and display.

Thanks,

oldman

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Excel 2007
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_half-life
....isotope decays perfectly according to first order kinetics ... a
living organism follows more complex kinetics....
I suspect that you are seeing a second order rate equation curve.
Here is a comparison:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/uzuizg...06_12_09a.xlsx
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Thanks for the response. It has been more than 20 years since I
worked with this stuff. What I am attempting to model the effect on
cancerous plasma cells of the drug Cytoxan. The patient has Multiple
Myeloma and has under gone two transplants and a stem cell boost. The
patient had relapsed again I is under going a new chemo regimen of
Dex, Velcade and Cytoxan. We so far have five sample points of 8.58,
5.80, 2.04, 1.42 and 1.28. The data looks like it is a decaying
exponential. The last two points have brought the patient into the
normal range but now appear to be tapering off. Each sample point is
the cancer marker for that week.

I can not seem to get the screen shot for function argument.

Though at this point there is not sufficient data to model this
situation I believe I am on the right track. I have never worked with
this capability it Excel so the reason for the post.

Hopefully, you can give me more help with how to use this capability
in Excel.

Thanks,
oldman

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 19:34:19 -0700 (PDT), Herbert Seidenberg
wrote:

Excel 2007
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_half-life
...isotope decays perfectly according to first order kinetics ... a
living organism follows more complex kinetics....
I suspect that you are seeing a second order rate equation curve.
Here is a comparison:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/uzuizg...06_12_09a.xlsx

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi thanks for the response. I will display what data I have which are
the first five points for the last five weeks of data since the chemo
protocol changed.

Week Kappa freelites
0 8.58
1 5.80
2 2.04
3 1.42
4 1.28
5 1.15
6 1.05
7 .99
8 .89
9 .81
10 .78

This should be enough of a start. The normal range if the disease is
under control is .33 to 1.94. These drugs are not a cure but only a
means to keep things under control. This is the sixth treatment plan
she has tried since being diagnosed almost five years ago.

Again we really appreciate the help.

oldman

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 13:46:53 -0700, TheQuickBrownFox
wrote:

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 13:25:56 -0700, wrote:

Though at this point there is not sufficient data to model this
situation I believe I am on the right track. I have never worked with
this capability it Excel so the reason for the post.

List a set of numbers for an axis. List more. List them all! :-)

Let me play with the data, then you can label them however you like.

Also if you see it (one of my solutions)the way you want it, you would
see the chart characteristics as well,and be able to use it in the
future..

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

That exponent is one problem. I only have the time series that shows
the drug mix is working as depicted by the decline in Kappa Freelite
values. Is it possible to fit an equation to the data and thereby
determine the exponents. Its been over 20 years since I had to work
with this stuff. Until the wife got diagnosed I thought I was done
with this kind of stuff.

When she had other chemo rounds the curves looked like this data until
she would relapse. The reason why this data decays so slowly is that
the key drug is oral so the response is slower. As you can see from
the data this treatment plan is now really five weeks old and going.
When she had infusion chemo the decline in Kappa Freelite values would
occur over four or five day and she would be totally miserable for up
to three to four months.

Not sure if this helps you to help me.

thanks,
oldman

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 16:01:33 -0700, Archimedes' Lever
wrote:

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 14:27:13 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Where are the negative exponents?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Excel 2007
Inserted your data into my tables.
A second order rate equation with offset
still gives the best fit.
See Sheet2/Chart2.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/kn4jey...06_12_09b.xlsx

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Herbert,

First thanks for your efforts and help.

Now for a few questions if you do not mind.
1-In chart 1 was that trendline computed by Excel 2007?
2-Is it possible to have solver compute residuals? I did this
by hard for the current data and results. If we took natural logs of
the observations would we then be able to compute a linear regression
model with errors and R^2 etc?
3-Where is the offset computed?
4-Going forward the data for days 35 will become real with
this weeks blood test. Can I substitute the real Kappa value for the
guestimated value and rework the model?
5-Working in the sheet I tried to copy and paste formulas but
using RxCy format only copied constants. What needs to be done to use
normal Excel operations?

Thanks again,

Paul

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 21:09:11 -0700 (PDT), Herbert Seidenberg
wrote:

Excel 2007
Inserted your data into my tables.
A second order rate equation with offset
still gives the best fit.
See Sheet2/Chart2.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/kn4jey...06_12_09b.xlsx

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Excel 2007
Added Data Analysis (Regression)
and more.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/jx2zaj...06_12_09c.xlsx

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Herbert,

Thanks once more.

I see what you have done. Now I need to learn how to do this without
bothering you.

Too bad I can not send you the data that we have since Dec. 30, 2008.
What we are looking at is data that showed her in remission for a
while. Then the drug regimen she was on loosing its effectiveness
which resulted in a relapse and now a new treatment plan which is
getting the disease under control. After looking at the real data
for her disease we are hoping that the flat portion of the curve from
your model will truly extend. Should that be the case then we would
have a new situation where the readings vary randomly within the
normal range until this set of drugs loose their effectiveness.

Returning to your analyses for sheet 2 how did you compute Ao, t1/2,
k, and the b offset?

For the regression model the results are quite significant. I assume
you are fitting to the model from sheet2. Here again I need to figure
out what you setup and how you did it.

All help is really appreciated.

Paul

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 12:05:48 -0700 (PDT), Herbert Seidenberg
wrote:

Excel 2007
Added Data Analysis (Regression)
and more.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/jx2zaj...06_12_09c.xlsx

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

wrote:

Excel 2007
Inserted your data into my tables.
A second order rate equation with offset
still gives the best fit.
See Sheet2/Chart2.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/kn4jey...06_12_09b.xlsx

That is the exact same curve I got, except mine was over 11 days (0
through 10) and yours is 80 days in ten day increments. Same exact plot
though.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

wrote:

Excel 2007
Inserted your data into my tables.
A second order rate equation with offset
still gives the best fit.
See Sheet2/Chart2.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/kn4jey...06_12_09b.xlsx

I fooled with your axis formatting...

http://download234.mediafire.com/ly3...eEquation.xlsx

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Herbert,

Thanks once more.

A few more questions:

1- What happens when I get actual data beyond day 70? Every Tuesday
there is a blood test to measure Free Kappa Lite chains to see if the
treatment protocol is still working. This Friday we will get the real
value of Kappa for day 35.

2- What is the effect of additional data on the coefficients Ao, t1/2,
k and the offset b. I changed the value for day 35 to see what would
change and so far it only changed the value r4c7.

Paul