Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default bar chart with dates on the x-axis

Hi. I am trying to create a stacked bar chart from data that has dates as its
values. I need the dates to be values because they will be calculated based
on certain conditions. Specifically, I am creating a vaccine scheduler for
nurses to use to determine a child's date ranges for receiving individual
innoculations in each vaccine series as calculated from the childs date of
birth and what innoculations they have already received.

I would like my x-axis to be a dates, my y-axis to be vaccines (e.g. MMR,
Polio, etc.), and the bars would show the range of dates for which an
innoculum in the series could be given. My problem is that when I create a
chart, the x-axis shows dates that begin at 0 (jan 1 1900) and go to 50000 or
something. Furthermore, the positions of the bars bear no relationship to
the dates on the x-axis.

I have tried to find a solution at peltiertech.com/ but have not had any
luck. An example of such a chart seems to appear at
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/...ngColumns.html as the sixth chart
on the page (minus the Grantt stuff), also at
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/recs/sch...chedule_pr.pdf
I hope I have been clear. Pardon any ignorace I have shown, I am not an
experienced excel user.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Excel 2007
Gantt Chart, multiple bars
Variable X axis with dates
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ywfity3mzyj/05_30_09.xlsx
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Ah, thanks a lot. I think I can figure it out from there.
jdo

"Herbert Seidenberg" wrote:

Excel 2007
Gantt Chart, multiple bars
Variable X axis with dates
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ywfity3mzyj/05_30_09.xlsx

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

You should note that in a horizontal bar chart, the X axis is the vertical
axis, and it has the category names (the vaccine names), and the Y axis is
the horizontal axis, which plots values (i.e., dates).

The value axis (Y or horizontal) probably starts at zero (1-Jan-1900) and
goes to some large number, which is the number of days since 1-Jan-1900.
Today, 31 May 2009 is 39,964.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/

Advanced Excel Conference - June 17-18 2009 - Charting and Programming
http://peltiertech.com/Training/2009...00906ACNJ.html
_______

"overgaard92" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting