-   -   Cannot format Horizontal label where axis is defined as $A$2:$B$30 (https://www.excelbanter.com/charts-charting-excel/222563-cannot-format-horizontal-label-where-axis-defined-%24%242-%24b%2430.html)

A user from Boston

Cannot format Horizontal label where axis is defined as $A$2:$B$30

Cannot format Horizontal label where axis is defined as $A$2:$B$30.

I have the x-axis defined as 2 columns, but when I format the label, only
the second value follows the format.

Col A is a date and Col B is the day of the week.

Trying to get the legand to have the letters up and down but only the col B
values are following the chart formatting command.

Shane Devenshire

Cannot format Horizontal label where axis is defined as $A$2:$B$30

Hi,

When you have a chart with a dual-category axis the primary labels are
usually horizontal and the secondary labels direction depends on the amount
of space needed to display them. If the lables take up a lot of room they
will go vertical regardless of you axis orientation.

Any or all of these things might help -
1. Use shorter titles
2. Reduce the font size
3. Widen the chart
4. Widen the Plot Area

Alternatively you can create a dummy category axis for the secondary items.
Options, suggestions and examples can be found at Jon Poltier's site:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire