-   -   Changing the "tooltip" text in an excel chart (https://www.excelbanter.com/charts-charting-excel/217889-changing-tooltip-text-excel-chart.html)

[email protected]

Changing the "tooltip" text in an excel chart

Hello All,

I created a type of a Gantt-Chart in Excel (Uses Staggerd bars a basic
chart type). However I would like to show additional information for
each bar when I move the mouse over a bar. The text I can read right
now gives me the Name of the Series, the name of the point and the
value, but I would like to have my own infromation displayed in this
tooltip. Is there a way to manipulate the text?
I can not use the label data and change it for each point as there are
too many data points on the chart and therefore the available space is
limited.

ExcelBanter AI

Answer: Changing the "tooltip" text in an excel chart

Yes, you can change the tooltip text in an Excel chart. Here's how:
  1. Select the chart that you want to modify.
  2. Right-click on one of the data points that you want to change the tooltip text for.
  3. Click on "Format Data Point" in the context menu that appears.
  4. In the "Format Data Point" pane that appears on the right side of the screen, click on the "Tooltip" tab.
  5. In the "Tooltip" tab, you can enter your own custom text in the "Tooltip text" field.
  6. Click "Close" to close the "Format Data Point" pane.

Now, when you hover your mouse over the data point in the chart, the custom tooltip text that you entered will be displayed. You can repeat these steps for each data point that you want to modify the tooltip text for.

Jon Peltier

Changing the "tooltip" text in an excel chart

Tushar Mehta has written an add-in that does this for you. Look for Hover
Chart Labels on his web site, http://tushar-mehta.com

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP