-   -   Counting datapoints/records in time interval (https://www.excelbanter.com/charts-charting-excel/21559-counting-datapoints-records-time-interval.html)

[email protected]

Counting datapoints/records in time interval

Hi group,

I have a lot datapoints (y-axis) over time (x-axis).
What I'd need is now something like an aggregation/counting of the kind:
amount of datapoints in all 1 minute intervals plotted as bars/scatter/...
Is there an easy way in excel to acomplish this?
Is programming needed here? If so, has anyone got a pointer for this IMO
standard problem?

Many thanx in advance
edw.

Jon Peltier

Assuming your X values are in A2:A2002, put the times you want to sample
into D2:D100 (or whatever size range you need). In E2 enter this formula:

=SUM(IF(TEXT($A$2:$A$2002,"hh:mm")=TEXT(D2,"hh:mm" ),1,0))

then hold down CTRL+SHIFT while pressing Enter. Excel will put {curly
brackets} around the formula if it's done correctly, because it's an
array formula. Fill this formula down column E as far as you have times
in column D, then make your chart with the data in D and E.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services