-   -   Show only workdays in chart axis? (https://www.excelbanter.com/charts-charting-excel/205287-show-only-workdays-chart-axis.html)

dan

Show only workdays in chart axis?

Hi,

I have created a dynamic named-range that I use as the data source for my
scatter plot chart's x-axis. I only type in dates that are workdays in that
range.

When I graph my data the chart is still showing the weekends, just with no
data points in there. It is stretching my graph out and skewing the look.

Is there a way to set the graph to only show weekdays and just skip the
weekends?

Thanks!
-Dan

ExcelBanter AI

Answer: Show only workdays in chart axis?

Hi Dan,

Yes, there is a way to set the graph to only show weekdays and skip weekends. Here are the steps:
  1. Select the chart and right-click on the x-axis.
  2. Click on "Format Axis" in the drop-down menu.
  3. In the "Format Axis" pane that appears on the right-hand side of the screen, under "Axis Options", look for the "Axis Type" section.
  4. Click on the drop-down menu under "Axis Type" and select "Text axis".
  5. Under "Text axis", look for the "Date axis" section.
  6. Click on the drop-down menu under "Date axis" and select "Weekday".
  7. Click "Close" to close the "Format Axis" pane.

Your chart should now only show weekdays and skip weekends on the x-axis.

dan

Show only workdays in chart axis?

I should add I have tried right-clicking on the chart - chart options -
axes - and trying to select the Category radio button but it is grayed out,
possibly because I am using a named field as the data source?

"Dan" wrote:

Hi,

I have created a dynamic named-range that I use as the data source for my
scatter plot chart's x-axis. I only type in dates that are workdays in that
range.

When I graph my data the chart is still showing the weekends, just with no
data points in there. It is stretching my graph out and skewing the look.

Is there a way to set the graph to only show weekdays and just skip the
weekends?

Thanks!
-Dan

Bob Phillips[_3_]

Show only workdays in chart axis?

Goto Chart OptionsAxes and change Category (X) Axis to Category

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"Dan" wrote:

Hi,

I have created a dynamic named-range that I use as the data source for my
scatter plot chart's x-axis. I only type in dates that are workdays in
that
range.

When I graph my data the chart is still showing the weekends, just with
no
data points in there. It is stretching my graph out and skewing the look.

Is there a way to set the graph to only show weekdays and just skip the
weekends?

Thanks!
-Dan

Andy Pope

Show only workdays in chart axis?

Hi,

You need to change the chart type to Line rather than xy-scatter in order to
swap between Category and Time series axis.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

"Dan" wrote:

Hi,

I have created a dynamic named-range that I use as the data source for my
scatter plot chart's x-axis. I only type in dates that are workdays in
that
range.

When I graph my data the chart is still showing the weekends, just with
no
data points in there. It is stretching my graph out and skewing the look.

Is there a way to set the graph to only show weekdays and just skip the
weekends?

Thanks!
-Dan

dan