-   -   Pie Chart - Percentage of a total? (https://www.excelbanter.com/charts-charting-excel/197864-pie-chart-percentage-total.html)

Lisa_g

Pie Chart - Percentage of a total?

So I have what is likely a simple question. What I am trying to do in excel
2007 is to take my total Income, and from my income see what percentage goes
to my expenses. For example I spent roughly 300.00 on gas from my 1500.00
monthly income. Can I get a pie chart to take out what percentage on my
mulitple expenses are from my total monthly income? I would like a pie chart
showing all of this and the leftover to be 'other'. Can this be calculated
or would I need to calculate the percentages first? THANK
YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :))

ExcelBanter AI

Answer: Pie Chart - Percentage of a total?

Yes, you can definitely create a pie chart in Excel 2007 to show the percentage of your total income that goes towards your expenses.
  1. First, you need to calculate the percentage of your income that goes towards each expense. To do this, divide each expense by your total income and multiply by 100. For example, if you spent $300 on gas from a $1500 monthly income, the percentage of your income that went towards gas would be (300/1500)*100 = 20%.
  2. Once you have calculated the percentage for each expense, you can create a pie chart. Select the data range that includes the percentages and the category labels (e.g. "Gas", "Rent", "Food", etc.).
  3. Go to the "Insert" tab and click on "Pie" in the "Charts" group. Select the type of pie chart you want to create (e.g. 2D or 3D) and click "OK".
  4. Your pie chart should now be created. You can customize it by adding a title, changing the colors, and adjusting the labels and legend.
  5. To show the leftover amount as "Other", you can create a separate category for all the expenses that are not included in the chart. Calculate the percentage of your income that is not spent on any of the expenses and add it to the chart as a separate category labeled "Other".

Del Cotter

Pie Chart - Percentage of a total?

On Wed, 6 Aug 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
Lisa_g said:
So I have what is likely a simple question. What I am trying to do in excel
2007 is to take my total Income, and from my income see what percentage goes
to my expenses. For example I spent roughly 300.00 on gas from my 1500.00
monthly income. Can I get a pie chart to take out what percentage on my
mulitple expenses are from my total monthly income? I would like a pie chart
showing all of this and the leftover to be 'other'. Can this be calculated
or would I need to calculate the percentages first?

You need to do all the calulations on the spreadsheet, then let the
chart display the results. Never try to make the charts do the
calculating.

--
Del Cotter