-   -   Can Excel graph a line from an equation? y=3x+2 (https://www.excelbanter.com/charts-charting-excel/195021-can-excel-graph-line-equation-y%3D3x-2-a.html)

GraphLady

Can Excel graph a line from an equation? y=3x+2

Can Excel do linear programming problems? I'm wondering if Excel can graph
from an equation rather than data points and can it identify points of
intersection?

Andy Pope

Can Excel graph a line from an equation? y=3x+2

Hi,

Have a look at Stephen Bullen's ChtFrmla example.
http://www.oaltd.co.uk/Excel/SBXLPage.asp#Charting

To calculate intersection you will probably need to create all the points in
cells in order to use formula, which sort of negates the need for the non
cell based approach

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"GraphLady" wrote in message
Can Excel do linear programming problems? I'm wondering if Excel can graph
from an equation rather than data points and can it identify points of
intersection?

Bernard Liengme

Can Excel graph a line from an equation? y=3x+2

If you know the functions why plot to find intersection?
y=mx+b
Y=MX+B
At intersection y=Y and x=X
so: mx+b=Mx+B;
therefore x=(B-b)/(m-M) and y=m(B-b)/(m-M)+b
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"GraphLady" wrote in message
Can Excel do linear programming problems? I'm wondering if Excel can graph
from an equation rather than data points and can it identify points of
intersection?

Jon Peltier

Can Excel graph a line from an equation? y=3x+2

Why not use points? It's easier, and you can see the data.
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsH...tEquation.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP