Elizabeth

Default How do I set the range of a trend line in Excel?

I am using excel to create trend lines in a chart. I have four different sets
of data, two sets lie on weeks 1-6, and two sets lie on weeks 7-12 (x-axis).
Right now, I can make individual trend lines for all four sets of data, but
they extend the length of the x-axis (all 12 weeks). How do I get the trend
lines to extend just within the data range? Thanks for any help.
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I set the range of a trend line in Excel?

To set the range of a trend line in Excel, you can follow these steps:
  1. Select the chart that contains the trend lines you want to modify.
  2. Right-click on one of the trend lines and select "Format Trendline" from the menu that appears.
  3. In the "Format Trendline" pane that opens on the right side of the screen, click on the "Options" tab.
  4. Under "Forecast," you should see a section labeled "Forward" with a checkbox next to it. Uncheck this box.
  5. Next, under "Backward," you should see a section labeled "Period." This is where you can set the range of the trend line.
  6. Change the "Period" value to match the number of weeks that your data covers. For example, if you have data for weeks 1-6 and weeks 7-12, you would set the "Period" value to 6 for each trend line that covers weeks 1-6 and 12 for each trend line that covers weeks 7-12.
  7. Click "Close" to apply the changes to the trend lines.

By setting the "Period" value in this way, you should be able to get the trend lines to extend just within the data range for each set of data.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Jon Peltier

In a line chart (in any chart with a category axis, in fact), a
trendline covers the entire range of the X axis. If you're able to plot
the points on a Scatter chart, the trendline only spans the actual range
of data.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Elizabeth wrote:

I am using excel to create trend lines in a chart. I have four different sets
of data, two sets lie on weeks 1-6, and two sets lie on weeks 7-12 (x-axis).
Right now, I can make individual trend lines for all four sets of data, but
they extend the length of the x-axis (all 12 weeks). How do I get the trend
lines to extend just within the data range? Thanks for any help.

Elizabeth

Jon,
Thanks for your help. It is good to know what I can't do it so I stop
banging my head trying.
Elizabeth

Elizabeth wrote:

I am using excel to create trend lines in a chart. I have four different sets
of data, two sets lie on weeks 1-6, and two sets lie on weeks 7-12 (x-axis).
Right now, I can make individual trend lines for all four sets of data, but
they extend the length of the x-axis (all 12 weeks). How do I get the trend
lines to extend just within the data range? Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi Jon,

I have a user who is trying to make his trend line span only the range of
the data, instead of the entire range of the X axis. He is using a Scatter
chart. Can you explain how he can do this?

We are using Excel 2007.

I have been looking for the options, but can't seem to find the right one.

Please let me know if you need any further info.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Elizabeth wrote:

I am using excel to create trend lines in a chart. I have four different sets
of data, two sets lie on weeks 1-6, and two sets lie on weeks 7-12 (x-axis).
Right now, I can make individual trend lines for all four sets of data, but
they extend the length of the x-axis (all 12 weeks). How do I get the trend
lines to extend just within the data range? Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

As Jon wrote a trendline is based on ALL the data in a series. If you want
to trend partial data you will need to create another series that is just
the partial data.
You can then add your trend line to that series. The series with partial
data can be formatted such that it does not shown on the chart by setting
the line and marker styles to none.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

Elizabeth wrote:

I am using excel to create trend lines in a chart. I have four
different sets
of data, two sets lie on weeks 1-6, and two sets lie on weeks 7-12
(x-axis).
Right now, I can make individual trend lines for all four sets of data,
but
they extend the length of the x-axis (all 12 weeks). How do I get the
trend
lines to extend just within the data range? Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi Andy,

Thanks so much for your prompt response, I really appreciate it.

I will forward the info to my user.

Thanks!

Elizabeth wrote:

I am using excel to create trend lines in a chart. I have four
different sets
of data, two sets lie on weeks 1-6, and two sets lie on weeks 7-12
(x-axis).
Right now, I can make individual trend lines for all four sets of data,
but
they extend the length of the x-axis (all 12 weeks). How do I get the
trend
lines to extend just within the data range? Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Tammy:

I have several regression posts on my site that may be helpful.

Particularly, I have an interactive regression example which lets the user
select begin and end points of data subset. I'd suggest you check out this
post to see if it fits your needs.

http://processtrends.com/toc_trend_a...e_Regr ession

Kelly
http://processtrends.com

Elizabeth wrote:

I am using excel to create trend lines in a chart. I have four
different sets
of data, two sets lie on weeks 1-6, and two sets lie on weeks 7-12
(x-axis).
Right now, I can make individual trend lines for all four sets of data,
but
they extend the length of the x-axis (all 12 weeks). How do I get the
trend
lines to extend just within the data range? Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi Kelly,

Thanks so much for providing your helpful article. I will forward that to my
user, as well.

Thanks, again! :)