-   -   Progress bar in spreadsheet? (https://www.excelbanter.com/charts-charting-excel/191747-progress-bar-spreadsheet.html)

RBear3

Progress bar in spreadsheet?

I am creating a spreadsheet where I will have a long list of projects. One
column represents the completion percentage for the project. I'd like to
display this as a progress bar. If the project is 50% complete, I want the
left half of the cell to be colored in. If it is 75% complete, I want the
left 3/4 of the field to be filled in, etc.

I don't mind doing this manually if there is a way to do so, but I figured
there might be some type of control that can do this.

I have seen reports built in accounting packages and "dashboard" or "metric
tracking" applications that do similar visual representations for individual
line items on reports.

Thanks for your suggestions!!

--

RBear3
..

Andy Pope

Progress bar in spreadsheet?

Hi,

You can not partial shade a single cell. What you can do is use multiple
cells with some conditional formatting.

Have a look at a recent post of my on another forum.
http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...ht=conditional

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"RBear3" wrote in message
I am creating a spreadsheet where I will have a long list of projects. One
column represents the completion percentage for the project. I'd like to
display this as a progress bar. If the project is 50% complete, I want the
left half of the cell to be colored in. If it is 75% complete, I want the
left 3/4 of the field to be filled in, etc.

I don't mind doing this manually if there is a way to do so, but I figured
there might be some type of control that can do this.

I have seen reports built in accounting packages and "dashboard" or
"metric tracking" applications that do similar visual representations for
individual line items on reports.

Thanks for your suggestions!!

--

RBear3
.

Jim Cone[_2_]

Progress bar in spreadsheet?

Another way...
You can use a formula to show a simple bar whose length varies
depending on the value in a cell.
If the value 28 is in cell B5, then try this formula in C5...
=REPT("n",B5/4).
Assign the Wingdings font to cell C5 and adjust the font size.
Customize as desired.
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

"RBear3"

wrote in message
I am creating a spreadsheet where I will have a long list of projects. One
column represents the completion percentage for the project. I'd like to
display this as a progress bar. If the project is 50% complete, I want the
left half of the cell to be colored in. If it is 75% complete, I want the
left 3/4 of the field to be filled in, etc.
I don't mind doing this manually if there is a way to do so, but I figured
there might be some type of control that can do this.
I have seen reports built in accounting packages and "dashboard" or "metric
tracking" applications that do similar visual representations for individual
line items on reports.
Thanks for your suggestions!!
--
RBear3
..

Pete_UK

Progress bar in spreadsheet?

You could achieve this in an adjacent column - assuming your
percentage is in A1, then put this in B1:

=REPT("|",100*A1)

Format the cell to, say, Red, and copy down.

You could apply conditional formatting to have, say, Blue with the
formula =A1=0.75, and Green with =A1=0.5 and Yellow with A1=0.25,
so that the colour changes with progress of the project.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jun 18, 2:03*pm, "RBear3" wrote:
[...]

Seeing the other guys suggestions of using the REPT function I thought I
better clarify my statement, "You can not partial shade a single cell".
Using the built-in Cell Shading you can not partial shade..

Cheers
Andy

--

"RBear3" wrote in message
I am creating a spreadsheet where I will have a long list of projects.
One column represents the completion percentage for the project. I'd like
to display this as a progress bar. If the project is 50% complete, I want
the left half of the cell to be colored in. If it is 75% complete, I want
the left 3/4 of the field to be filled in, etc.

I don't mind doing this manually if there is a way to do so, but I
figured there might be some type of control that can do this.

I have seen reports built in accounting packages and "dashboard" or
"metric tracking" applications that do similar visual representations for
individual line items on reports.

Thanks for your suggestions!!

--

RBear3
.

RBear3

Progress bar in spreadsheet?

Thanks! All of these suggestions are helpful.

--
RBear3
..

On Jun 18, 2:03 pm, "RBear3" wrote:
I am creating a spreadsheet where I will have a long list of projects. One
column represents the completion percentage for the project. I'd like to
display this as a progress bar. If the project is 50% complete, I want the
left half of the cell to be colored in. If it is 75% complete, I want the
left 3/4 of the field to be filled in, etc.

I don't mind doing this manually if there is a way to do so, but I figured
there might be some type of control that can do this.

I have seen reports built in accounting packages and "dashboard" or
"metric
tracking" applications that do similar visual representations for
individual
line items on reports.

Thanks for your suggestions!!

--

RBear3
.

artemis

Progress bar in spreadsheet?

You will need to set the column width to the 100% size. Also, you can
use Niagara Solid or Stencil fonts to create a solid line.

Ed Ferrero[_2_]

Progress bar in spreadsheet?

You have already had some good suggestions.

One of my old blog posts may be of help.

Look at http://www.edferrero.com/Blog/tabid/...1/Default.aspx
and scroll about half way down - to More on Excel 2007 Conditional Formats
(and Excel 2003)

My blog is a little bit broken at the moment, sorry, but this should get you
there.

Ed Ferrero
www.edferrero.com