-   -   NEED HELP WITH PULLING IN ONLY NECESSARY DATA FROM A TABLE (https://www.excelbanter.com/charts-charting-excel/191065-need-help-pulling-only-necessary-data-table.html)

lenubian

NEED HELP WITH PULLING IN ONLY NECESSARY DATA FROM A TABLE

Hello,

I am trying to make a simple graph with x, y coordinates. My issue is
that i want to automate the pull in of data from a table. If the cell
is blank i want excel to ignore those cells and not graph anything.
Does anyone know how to do this? I have an example below:

Number Name Xcoordinate Ycoordinate
1 A 1 1
2 B 2 5
3 C 4 10
4
5
6

I would want it to ignore cells for numbers 4, 5, and 6 and just graph
cells for numbers 1, 2, 3

Thanks so much

Jon Peltier

NEED HELP WITH PULLING IN ONLY NECESSARY DATA FROM A TABLE

Are the cells truly blank, or do they contain formulas that return "". "" is
a piece of text, which Excel treats as a zero: change "" in the formula to
NA(), which puts an ugly #N/A error in the cell but isn't plotted in a line
or XY chart. If they really are blanks, then go to Tools menu Options
Chart tab, and choose Not Plotted for how Excel should treat blank cells.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions