-   -   Column Chart with 2 axes (https://www.excelbanter.com/charts-charting-excel/188194-column-chart-2-axes.html)

Greenfield

Column Chart with 2 axes

I have a column chart with 2 bars in each catagory (total 12 bars, 6
categories). I want to put each data series on a separate axis. When I
choose the second data series, than format data series, than axis and click
on second axis, the chart goes from a column chart to a stack bar chart.
Does anyone know how to keep the chart as a two column chart on separate axes?

Bernard Liengme

Column Chart with 2 axes

Yes, Jon Peltier knows. He tell all at
http://peltiertech.com/index.html
best wishes
Bernard Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP
http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme

"Greenfield" wrote in message
I have a column chart with 2 bars in each catagory (total 12 bars, 6
categories). I want to put each data series on a separate axis. When I
choose the second data series, than format data series, than axis and
click
on second axis, the chart goes from a column chart to a stack bar chart.
Does anyone know how to keep the chart as a two column chart on separate
axes?

ShaneDevenshire

Column Chart with 2 axes

Hi Greenfield,

If I catch your gist, you want the columns side by side even thought they
are on different axis? I invented a method to do this 15 years ago, which is
still used today - you need to create dummy columns.

Data1 Dummy1 Dummy2 Data2
3 3 3 6
2 1
4 3
1 5
8 2
4 8

Plot the data as a regular column chart. Then double click any series and
on the Options tab set the Gap Width to 0. Remove the values in columns 2
and 3 they were just there for looks. In the legend select the legend
enteries for each dummy series and press Delete.

I hope this is what you want although you may be interested in a
stacked-cluster chart.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Greenfield" wrote:

I have a column chart with 2 bars in each catagory (total 12 bars, 6
categories). I want to put each data series on a separate axis. When I
choose the second data series, than format data series, than axis and click
on second axis, the chart goes from a column chart to a stack bar chart.
Does anyone know how to keep the chart as a two column chart on separate axes?

Greenfield

Column Chart with 2 axes

Thank you. Your tip is exactly what I needed.

"Greenfield" wrote:

I have a column chart with 2 bars in each catagory (total 12 bars, 6
categories). I want to put each data series on a separate axis. When I
choose the second data series, than format data series, than axis and click
on second axis, the chart goes from a column chart to a stack bar chart.
Does anyone know how to keep the chart as a two column chart on separate axes?

ShaneDevenshire

Column Chart with 2 axes

Hi Bernard,

How was your trip home? By the way does Jon's website credit me? I
published this in the early 90's in a number of computer magazines.
--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

Yes, Jon Peltier knows. He tell all at
http://peltiertech.com/index.html
best wishes
Bernard Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP
http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme

"Greenfield" wrote in message
I have a column chart with 2 bars in each catagory (total 12 bars, 6
categories). I want to put each data series on a separate axis. When I
choose the second data series, than format data series, than axis and
click
on second axis, the chart goes from a column chart to a stack bar chart.
Does anyone know how to keep the chart as a two column chart on separate
axes?

Jon Peltier

Column Chart with 2 axes

Shane -

I developed the same technique independently, without ever seeing your prior
references. If any of them are linkable, I'll be glad to include a link in
the tutorial.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"ShaneDevenshire" wrote in
message ...

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

Yes, Jon Peltier knows. He tell all at
http://peltiertech.com/index.html
best wishes
Bernard Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP
http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme

"Greenfield" wrote in message
I have a column chart with 2 bars in each catagory (total 12 bars, 6
categories). I want to put each data series on a separate axis. When
choose the second data series, than format data series, than axis and
click
on second axis, the chart goes from a column chart to a stack bar
chart.
Does anyone know how to keep the chart as a two column chart on
separate
axes?

ShaneDevenshire

Column Chart with 2 axes

Hi Jon,

Sorry we missed you at the Summit!

Listed below in reverse chronological order. I don't know if there are any
links to these:

1. Excel Expert Solutions, Que, 1996, Designing a Dual-Axis Column Chart,
pgs. 718-721.
2. Macworld February 1995, Quick Tips, Impossible column Chart
3. PC Magazine January 1995, page 272, Spreadsheets: Excel Charts with two
Y-Axes.
4. Bank of America - PC Computing tips for the Mac, November 1986, page 4.

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

Yes, Jon Peltier knows. He tell all at
http://peltiertech.com/index.html
best wishes
Bernard Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP
http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme

"Greenfield" wrote in message
I have a column chart with 2 bars in each catagory (total 12 bars, 6
categories). I want to put each data series on a separate axis. When
choose the second data series, than format data series, than axis and
click
on second axis, the chart goes from a column chart to a stack bar
chart.
Does anyone know how to keep the chart as a two column chart on
separate
axes?

Jon Peltier

Column Chart with 2 axes

Shane -

You definitely have the "prior art" covered. Thanks for the links.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.