-   -   Charts causing program to crash (https://www.excelbanter.com/charts-charting-excel/184-charts-causing-program-crash.html)

Fysh

Charts causing program to crash

I have a worksheet that has 2 charts on it. When I close(save) the program
and try to open it, it crashes. In other words it shuts down and creates
some kind of Error log. If I close the program on another worksheet then it
is fine. I think what the problem is the other worksheets are being updated
with information from other workbooks. At the same time the chart worksheet
is trying to update itself as well, thus causing it to crash. How can I
prevent this from happening? Also, how do you get back into the program if
this keeps happening? Right now I have a backup, which I will have to edit
if I can't get back into this one. The program is going out to a few people
and I really don't want to cause them any problems. Thanks for any input.

Jon Peltier

Earlier versions of Excel aren't so stable. XP is pretty good, 97 is pretty bad,
2000 is in between. Sometimes it's enough to open and save the file in XP, then
resume working in 2000 (which doesn't help if all you have is 2000).

Using a lot of formulas and names to define chart source data gives Excel a headache
after a while. Charts aren't as smart as worksheets when it comes to named ranges.
Convoluted chart data seems to make workbooks easier to corrupt. Sometimes I find
that I must rebuild a sheet or entire workbook when it starts to misbehave.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services