Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Show series name on the chart - but not at every data point

I want to show the name of the data series on the chart - but only once. If
I check "Series name" in the "Format data series" "Data Labels" tab - then it
shows at every data point - I only want it at e.g. the last.

How is that done?
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Show series name on the chart - but not at every data point

To show the name of the data series on the chart, but only once, you can follow these steps:
  1. Click on the chart to select it.
  2. Click on the data series that you want to label.
  3. Right-click on the data series and select "Add Data Labels".
  4. Right-click on the data labels and select "Format Data Labels".
  5. In the "Label Options" section, check the box next to "Series Name".
  6. In the "Label Position" section, select "Outside End".
  7. In the "Label Contains" section, select "Value From Cells".
  8. Click on the "Select Range" button and select the cell that contains the name of the data series.
  9. Click "OK" to close the "Format Data Labels" dialog box.

This will add the name of the data series to the last data point in the series. If you want to change the position of the label, you can drag it to a different location on the chart.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

To do this manually first select the series and then select the individual
point. Now apply data labels.

With VBA code have a look at Jon Peltier's page
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/LabelLastPoint.html

With dummy data series see
http://www.andypope.info/charts/Labellast.htm

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"RSunday" wrote in message
I want to show the name of the data series on the chart - but only once.
If
I check "Series name" in the "Format data series" "Data Labels" tab - then
it
shows at every data point - I only want it at e.g. the last.

How is that done?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Thanks Andy,

your step-by-step guide is very good - but for my purpose I just want to do
the individual series manually.

But how exactly do I "select the individual point" and "apply the data
label"? When I click the last point - the format menu for the entire series
pops up.

"RSunday" wrote in message
I want to show the name of the data series on the chart - but only once.
If
I check "Series name" in the "Format data series" "Data Labels" tab - then
it
shows at every data point - I only want it at e.g. the last.

How is that done?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

You need to do it with two clicks. First click will select the series. The
second click should be the data point you want the data label applied to.
You could try using the keyboard if that makes it easier.
http://www.andypope.info/tips/tip003.htm

Cheers
Andy