AlCamp

Default Need help determining Chart Type

Hello all,
I need a chart that will simulate "mapping" weaving errors on a length of
cloth.

The Y axis would represent the Length of the fabric, from 0 to 300
meters.
The X axis would represent the Width of the fabric, from 0cm to 240cm.
Error data in the cloth would be indicated as...
ErrorNo ErrorLength ErrorWidth FromEdge
1 100 15 50
2 138 10 94
3 168 7 220
Error No 1 occured 100 meters down the cloth, and 50cm from the edge,
and I would like to place a small line 15cm in length and labeled "1" on the
graph at the appropriate length and distance from edge.
Error No 2 occurs at 138m and 94cm from edge and would be represented as
a 10cm line labeled "2" on the graph,
and so on and so on for. (I'll probably have 35 errors or so to plot)

Isn't this similar to a "project schedule" graph, where starting on
1/1/05 the development phase (represented by a line 3 weeks long) will
begin, and so on...

Is this do-able in Excel chart?

What type of graph should I use?

Any assistance anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.... If
someone can get me going in the right direction, I don't mind putting in
some "sweat equity".

Thanks in advance,
Al Camp

Barb R.

Take a look at Jon Peltier's site

http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/index.html

You may be able to find something there.

"AlCamp" wrote:

[...]

AlCamp

Barb,
I did find Jon's site earlier, and I'm reviewing (he has a ton of good
info) the information to see if I can determine if there's one of his graphs
that will do what I need.
I'm looking at floating bars and Gannt charting as possibilities.
I'll keep on truckin'... thanks for your response...
Al Camp

"AlCamp" wrote:

[...]

Jon Peltier

Hi Al -

Here's what I would do.

First I'd rearrange the data:

ErrorNo ErrorX ErrorY Width
1 50 100 15
2 94 138 10
3 220 168 7

I would make an XY Scatter chart (markers, no lines) using the Error Y
and Error X data. I would make custom X error bars, using the range
under "Width" for the Custom + error bar width. Then I'd format the
series to show no markers. I'd make the error bars thicker and choose
the style without the little cross at the end. Then I'd use Rob Bovey's
Chart Labeler, a free and easy to use add-in from http://appspro.com, to
appy the ErrorNo labels as data labels to the points, using the Left
alignment.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

AlCamp wrote:

[...]

AlCamp

Jon,
Thanks very much for taking the time to lay that out for me. That's
really what I needed... a good head start!

I'm not sure if I'll be able to use Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, as I will
actually be doing the graph in Access 97 (which uses OLE Microsoft Graph
2000 Chart).
Thought I'd try to solve my problems in Excel, and then in Access.
I came to the Excel NG because I knew this is where the "charting" heavy
hitters would be...

I'll be trying your suggestion right away.

Thanks again for your help,
Al Camp

AlCamp wrote:

[...]

Jon Peltier

Hi Al -

You can label the points using their values, then manually replace the
text of each with the label you want.

- Jon

AlCamp wrote:

[...]

AlCamp

Jon,
Well Jon, probably not... these charts (it will involve 4 charts to
display all the data) will have to be created "on the fly" as Access
reports, and then automatically emailed to customers, so there can't be a
chance for any "hand work" at all.
The client does number that way, but I don't think we really need to. If
you had a bar chart with 25 bars, you wouldn't have to number 1,2,3,4,
etc... you'd just show the bars and their values. I did download Rob's
label app and used it in my Excel mockup, but I think I can get by without
that labeling in the Access app.

I followed your instructions, and have the chart all laid out... thanks
for getting me going in the right direction!

AlCamp wrote:

[...]

Jon Peltier

Al -

It is possible to automate MSGraph (or MSGrump as it is "affectionately"
called), without too much effort. For pointers, head on over to
http://pptfaq.com and search the page for MS Graph. After you get your
bearings, you can use macros recorded in Excel as a starting point for
MSG code.

- Jon
-------

AlCamp wrote:

[...]

AlCamp

Thanks Jon,
I'll check that out, but I think I have most of my problems solved, and
should be able to generate all the graphs right from Access using just the
"basic" MSGruff tools.
But, knowing how to make MSGruff do what I want via code would be a
valuable asset. I'll take a look see...
Thanks,
Al Camp
Candia, NH

AlCamp wrote:

[...]

Andy Pope

Hi Al,

I have some code for controlling MSgrrr scatter labels, albeit in
powerpoint.
http://www.andypope.info/ngs/ng16.htm

Cheers
Andy

AlCamp wrote:

Jon,
Well Jon, probably not... these charts (it will involve 4 charts to
display all the data) will have to be created "on the fly" as Access
reports, and then automatically emailed to customers, so there can't be a
chance for any "hand work" at all.
The client does number that way, but I don't think we really need to.
If you had a bar chart with 25 bars, you wouldn't have to number 1,2,3,4,
etc... you'd just show the bars and their values. I did download Rob's
label app and used it in my Excel mockup, but I think I can get by
without that labeling in the Access app.

I followed your instructions, and have the chart all laid out...
thanks for getting me going in the right direction!

Al Camp

. ..

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel