-   -   changing axes (https://www.excelbanter.com/charts-charting-excel/178485-changing-axes.html)

Damian

changing axes

I currently have categories going from 1st of may to 11th may. How do I get
it to just have labels for the even numbers (2nd/4th/6th/8th/10th)?

Also, how do I have 10,20, 30, 40 amd 50 on the value axis. How do I remove
the bottom one (10) but keep the rest?

Jon Peltier

changing axes

Chart type?

Generally you have little control over non-uniform display of axis tick
labels. But you can sometimes get what you want with custom number formats.
For the Y axis, you could use a format like

[=10]"";General

For the horizontal axis, you have to start the axis at 0 March (i.e., 29
Feb) and suppress the first label, through perhaps a format like

[<39508]"",mmm d

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Damian" wrote in message

I currently have categories going from 1st of may to 11th may. How do I
get
it to just have labels for the even numbers (2nd/4th/6th/8th/10th)?

Also, how do I have 10,20, 30, 40 amd 50 on the value axis. How do I
remove
the bottom one (10) but keep the rest?

Damian

changing axes

Many thank again, Jon!

"Damian" wrote in message

I currently have categories going from 1st of may to 11th may. How do I
get
it to just have labels for the even numbers (2nd/4th/6th/8th/10th)?

Also, how do I have 10,20, 30, 40 amd 50 on the value axis. How do I
remove
the bottom one (10) but keep the rest?

Damian

changing axes

Hi Jon,

I'm having trouble suppressing the first label on the horizontal axis with
that format. I'm using a column and one line chart. I wonder what i'm doing
wrong. Also, do you know where i can learn more about how custom formats
work?

Thanks

Damian

"Damian" wrote in message

I currently have categories going from 1st of may to 11th may. How do I
get
it to just have labels for the even numbers (2nd/4th/6th/8th/10th)?

Also, how do I have 10,20, 30, 40 amd 50 on the value axis. How do I
remove
the bottom one (10) but keep the rest?

Jon Peltier

changing axes

Could you describe the trouble? Also, what version of the beast are you
using?

Here's an article on number formats:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/NumberFormats.html

- Jon
-------

"Damian" wrote in message

I currently have categories going from 1st of may to 11th may. How do I
get
it to just have labels for the even numbers (2nd/4th/6th/8th/10th)?

Also, how do I have 10,20, 30, 40 amd 50 on the value axis. How do I
remove
the bottom one (10) but keep the rest?

Damian

changing axes

Hi John,

When I format the numbers using [<39508]"",mmm d It changes the category
labels to 5 digit numbers like 39536,39569 instead of dates.

I'm using excel 2003,

cheers

damian

"Damian" wrote in message

I currently have categories going from 1st of may to 11th may. How do I
get
it to just have labels for the even numbers (2nd/4th/6th/8th/10th)?

Also, how do I have 10,20, 30, 40 amd 50 on the value axis. How do I
remove
the bottom one (10) but keep the rest?

Jon Peltier

changing axes

My bad. I should have typed a semicolon instead of a comma in that format:

[<39508]"";mmm d

Sorry.

- Jon
-------