-   -   Equation of smoothed line between points (https://www.excelbanter.com/charts-charting-excel/175214-equation-smoothed-line-between-points.html)

MMesarch

Equation of smoothed line between points

HI,
I know I can add a trend line and get the equation for it. But the data I
have does not really fit the trendline types offered.
When I just add a line between the points and it is in SMOOTHED mode, is
there any way to get that equations. Or at least to find values on that line
between existing data points. And I realize I could linearly interpolate
between those point, but I would rather have the smoothed line.
THanks for the help.

--
Mark Mesarch
School of Natural Resources

Jon Peltier

Equation of smoothed line between points

You realize that the smoothing is not rigorously defined to track the data?
That the smoothed line can extend where the data may never go? It's only
there to beautify the chart.

But if you understand all that and want the smoothed line anyway, you could
read what Brian Murphy has learned about the smoothing, which basically is a
series of bezier curves fitted to the points. His remarks are found about
3/4 of the way down this page:

http://www.xlrotor.com/resources/files.shtml

- Jon
-------