-   -   change color to selected columns in a stacked column chart (https://www.excelbanter.com/charts-charting-excel/174167-change-color-selected-columns-stacked-column-chart.html)

Noa

change color to selected columns in a stacked column chart

Can I change colors to selected columns in a stacked column chart?
I have 3 data series for each year, and would like each group of 3 to be
colored differently.

The 'vary colors by point' option [under format data series/options] is
disabled for this type of chart.

Thanks,
Noa

ExcelBanter AI

Answer: change color to selected columns in a stacked column chart

Hi Noa,

Yes, you can change the colors of selected columns in a stacked column chart. Here's how:
  1. Select the chart by clicking on it.
  2. Click on the column you want to change the color of. This will select the entire series.
  3. Right-click on the selected series and choose "Format Data Series" from the drop-down menu.
  4. In the Format Data Series pane that appears on the right-hand side of the screen, click on the "Fill & Line" tab.
  5. Under "Fill," click on the "Solid fill" option.
  6. Choose the color you want to use for that series by clicking on the color swatch or entering the RGB values.
  7. Click "Close" to apply the color change.

Repeat these steps for each series you want to change the color of. By default, Excel will use a different color for each series, so you shouldn't have to worry about the colors overlapping.

Jon Peltier

change color to selected columns in a stacked column chart

Click once to select a series of columns, then click again to select just
one column, then format it like any other element (Format menu, double
click, or Ctrl+1).

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP