-   -   PivotChart Data Field - can it be value? (https://www.excelbanter.com/charts-charting-excel/16600-pivotchart-data-field-can-value.html)

pajordan

PivotChart Data Field - can it be value?

I have a data set of nodes that generated error codes at different times. I
want to plot the data with a separate series for each error code, with time
on the x-axis and node on the y-axis. I want to use a PivotChart so I can
select to show only certain error codes or nodes of interest. I am having
trouble setting up the PivotChart (Excel2000). I can't do it as a scatter
plot (not allowed for PivotCharts), so I chose Line with Markers. The
problem is the data field - the available options are like Sum, Count,
Average, etc. but I want it to be Value, as in the value of the node.
(Better to see a picture of it:
http://photobucket.com/albums/y17/pa...questio n.jpg
hope that works)
Am I going about this the wrong way? Any advice? Thanks.

Jon Peltier

Even though the data is in a pivot table, you can still make a real chart out of it.
Start by selecting a blank cell away from the pivot table, choose XY Scatter in the
first step, and use the Series tab to add the series one at a time. It's not too
tedious. Unfortunately it doesn't automatically update when the PT updates, which is
why Bill Gates invented VBA.

To show each value, not the sum/average, add a dummy column with different values. I
uses =ROW() in this table, and =RAND() for the values:

Var A Var 1 Value Dummy
A 1 0.792251876 2
A 1 0.917002952 3
A 2 0.097322931 4