Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Graphic Data Marker in Excel 2007 Charts

Hi,

I would like to add some pictures as data markers in my line chart using
excel VBA. I tried recording a macro to do this but the code is not generated
for the insert picture part. Does any one have an idea for this.

Regards,
Mohan
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

Create a line chart with 2 series. Then with the chart selected run this
routine.
Make sure you change the UserPicture filename to one that is on your system.

Sub MyMarkers()
' from file
With ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1)
.Format.Fill.UserPicture "C:\Waterfall.jpg"
.MarkerSize = 20
End With

' from shape on worksheet
With ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(2)
ActiveSheet.Shapes("Picture 1").Copy
.Paste
End With
End Sub

Cheers
Andy
--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
wrote in message ...
Hi,

I would like to add some pictures as data markers in my line chart using
excel VBA. I tried recording a macro to do this but the code is not
generated
for the insert picture part. Does any one have an idea for this.

Regards,
Mohan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your help. This solved my problem but I have one more question. I
tried to insert an image from the below mentioned link (a pin).

http://members.aol.com/%5Fht%5Fa/wiseowlsw/shadows.htm

So when I save this picture to my harddrive and used the module provided by
you the image is loaded as datamarkers but with a border around it.

Is there anyway to show only the icon without the borders. The file
extension is .gif

Thanks in advance,
Mohan

wrote in message ...
Hi,

I would like to add some pictures as data markers in my line chart using
excel VBA. I tried recording a macro to do this but the code is not
generated
for the insert picture part. Does any one have an idea for this.

Regards,
Mohan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

This should remove the markers border.

With ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1)
.Format.Fill.UserPicture "C:\temp\lmauve.gif"
.MarkerSize = 20
.MarkerForegroundColorIndex = xlColorIndexNone
End With

Cheers
Andy

--

wrote in message

I would like to add some pictures as data markers in my line chart
using
excel VBA. I tried recording a macro to do this but the code is not
generated
for the insert picture part. Does any one have an idea for this.

Regards,
Mohan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Apologies for asking a question in a reply (every time I try to start a new
thread I get nothing but a blocked pop up!)
I want to replace the markers in 2000 excel scatterplot charts with numbers
so for a given object I can identify its attributes across a number of
scatterplots.ie all the ones correspond to the first object, all the two's to
the second etc.is this possible and if it is how (keep in mind I'm just a
biologist not a programmer). Could I do it as per the Andy Pope instructions?
is there an easier way?
Thank-you for your consideration
--
karl

wrote in message ...
Hi,

I would like to add some pictures as data markers in my line chart using
excel VBA. I tried recording a macro to do this but the code is not
generated
for the insert picture part. Does any one have an idea for this.

Regards,
Mohan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
karl said:
I want to replace the markers in 2000 excel scatterplot charts with numbers
so for a given object I can identify its attributes across a number of
scatterplots.ie all the ones correspond to the first object, all the two's to
the second etc.is this possible and if it is how (keep in mind I'm just a
biologist not a programmer).

I just use Data Labels. You can use the normal numbers in ordinary
fonts, or find the fonts which give numbers in circles or bullets, and
use the characters from those fonts. Format their alignment to
Center/Center, and then format the data series to have no conventional
marker.

No VBA programming required, but it's easier if you download and install
one of the two common free data label add-ins:

Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com
John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com

--
Del Cotter
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

You can simplify this by naming the series '1', '2', etc., and assigning the
default series name data labels.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

karl said:
[...]

NB Personal replies to this post will send email to
,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
Jon Peltier said:
You can simplify this by naming the series '1', '2', etc., and assigning the
default series name data labels.

I forgot that's one of the genuine improvements in 2007. In 2003 or
below I use my method.

--
Del Cotter
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Jon Peltier said:
You can simplify this by naming the series '1', '2', etc., and assigning
the
default series name data labels.

I forgot that's one of the genuine improvements in 2007. In 2003 or below
I use my method.

The expanded set of data label options was introduced in 2002.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Jon Peltier said:

"Del Cotter" wrote in message
You can simplify this by naming the series '1', '2', etc., and
assigning the default series name data labels.

I forgot that's one of the genuine improvements in 2007. In 2003 or below
I use my method.

The expanded set of data label options was introduced in 2002.

Now you can see I've never encountered anything later than 2000 :-)

--
Del Cotter
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Jon Peltier said:

"Del Cotter" wrote in message
You can simplify this by naming the series '1', '2', etc., and assigning
the default series name data labels.

I forgot that's one of the genuine improvements in 2007. In 2003 or
below
I use my method.

The expanded set of data label options was introduced in 2002.

Now you can see I've never encountered anything later than 2000 :-)

Well, that's what I thought I remembered, but you said "2003 or below".

As far as I recall, adding the data label options was about the only chart
enhancement in 2002, but it was a good one. There were also a bunch of
enhancements to pivot tables. These may have made it worthwhile to upgrade,
but I hardly used 2002. When I upgraded from 97 to 2000, I was happy enough
to ignore 2002. A week or two after I finally upgraded to 2002, 2003 became
available, and it was more appealing than 2002. 2003 introduced the powerful
and useful Lists, which have become even more powerful Tables in 2007. While
the lists alone were reason enough for me to upgrade, 2003 was also more
stable than 2002 (a trend since 97 that seems to have skipped 2007). 2002
was a forgotten version, not just for me, but apparently for most users.
2007 deserves to be another forgotten version; it has a lot of potentially
nice new features, but there are too many gremlins and inefficiencies for
serious use. I only use it in virtual machines when developing for clients
who have upgraded. For my important work, I stick to 2003.

- Jon
-------