-   -   X axis collapsing to date on hourly data (https://www.excelbanter.com/charts-charting-excel/159513-x-axis-collapsing-date-hourly-data.html)

UncaJJ

X axis collapsing to date on hourly data

Hello,

I have a spreadsheet I am trying to chart that has values by date and
time, IE

Date-Time, Value
9/17/07 20:00, 1
9/17/07 21:00, 2
9/17/07 22:00, 4
9/17/07 23:00, 1
9/18/07 00:00, 2
9/18/07 01:00, 1
9/18/07 02:00, 0

When I highlight all of the above and select "Insert Chart" and choose
line chart, it creates the chart as if it had the following
information:

Date-Time, Value
9/17/07, 8
9/18/07, 3

It also looks more like a bar chart then a line chart. Anyone have an
idea on why this would happen and how to fix it?

-Jason

UncaJJ

X axis collapsing to date on hourly data

I am mistaken, it is collapsing into all 24 series going into one
location on the X axis instead of 24 separate locations on the x axis.

Link to examples: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...2/untitled.gif

Same data in both, but in the first I added the date cell and the time
cell to get date and time, the second just used the time cell and the
data cell

-Jason

David Biddulph[_2_]

X axis collapsing to date on hourly data

Don't use a line chart. Use XY, & include the lines there if you want them.
--
David Biddulph

"UncaJJ" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Well, that does look better, but it shows 2 extra days on the graph.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...ywithlines.jpg

The data set starts with 9/24/07 00:00:00 and ends with 9/30/07
23:00:00 with every hour in between, and there's no reason I see that
it should have 9/23 and 10/2 on the graph.

Thanks again,
Jason

"UncaJJ" wrote in message

[...]

Format Axis/ scale tab.
--
David Biddulph

ups.com...

"UncaJJ" wrote in message

[...]

Thank you David, but I do not see that option anywhere.

On Oct 1, 3:18 pm, "David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk
wrote:
Format Axis/ scale tab.
--
David Biddulph

UncaJJ

X axis collapsing to date on hourly data

Thank you David, but I do not see that option anywhere.

On Oct 1, 3:18 pm, "David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk
wrote:
Format Axis/ scale tab.
--
David Biddulph

David Biddulph[_2_]

X axis collapsing to date on hourly data

Did you tell us which version of Excel you are using? Did you try typing
Format Axis into Excel help? Or a web search?
--
David Biddulph

"UncaJJ" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thank you David, but I do not see that option anywhere.

On Oct 1, 3:18 pm, "David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk
wrote:
Format Axis/ scale tab.
--
David Biddulph

UncaJJ

X axis collapsing to date on hourly data

Hmmm... Well, I MEANT to say what version I was using, but I see I
didn't say Excel 2003. Sorry about that.

However, I was finally able to answer my original question by changing
on the Axes tab from Automatic to Category for "Category (X) Axis."

Now I have my line chart showing date and time on the X axis with each
hour showing separately.

On Oct 2, 1:14 pm, "David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk
wrote:
Did you tell us which version of Excel you are using? Did you try typing
Format Axis into Excel help? Or a web search?
--
David Biddulph

"UncaJJ" wrote in message

oups.com...

Thank you David, but I do not see that option anywhere.
On Oct 1, 3:18 pm, "David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk
wrote:
Format Axis/ scale tab.
--
David Biddulph

David Biddulph[_2_]

X axis collapsing to date on hourly data

We were discussing XY, not line chart.
--
David Biddulph

oups.com...

wrote:
Did you tell us which version of Excel you are using? Did you try typing
Format Axis into Excel help? Or a web search?
--
David Biddulph

"UncaJJ" wrote in message

oups.com...

Thank you David, but I do not see that option anywhere.
On Oct 1, 3:18 pm, "David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk
wrote:
Format Axis/ scale tab.
--
David Biddulph