-   -   Trendline for chart with error bars (https://www.excelbanter.com/charts-charting-excel/156025-trendline-chart-error-bars.html)

Amy

Trendline for chart with error bars

Hi,

I have scatter plots with error bars (each data point is the average of
several reps, and the error bars show the standard error). If I fit a
trendline to the data, is there a way to make the trendline take the error
bars into account? Or would I have to plot all raw data rather than averages?

I'm using Excel 2003.

Thanks,
Amy

Jon Peltier

Trendline for chart with error bars

You would have to calculate the trendline based on all of the points. You
could plot them in a second series but use no markers and no lines, so they
don't clutter up the chart. Then add a trendline to this second series.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Amy" wrote in message

I have scatter plots with error bars (each data point is the average of
several reps, and the error bars show the standard error). If I fit a
trendline to the data, is there a way to make the trendline take the error
bars into account? Or would I have to plot all raw data rather than
averages?

I'm using Excel 2003.

Thanks,
Amy

Amy

Trendline for chart with error bars

Thanks Jon - I had thought of that but just thought I'd post here in case
there was an easier way.