Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default how to create a chart from a dynamic table of data?

hai!!
i need to create a chart from a dynamic table,meaning that the table is
auto-generated from database after clicking a button.This is my first time
using macro in excel, so i'm not really well in it.
my idea right now is using Chart.Add,but then i'm having problem on how to
define the cells selection(i must do "the do..loop statement" rite?)
ur help is very appreciated,tq!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Use the macro recorder as a guide. When I record a macro to create a simple
chart it looks like:

Sub Macro1()
' Macro recorded 7/30/2007 by Jon Peltier
'
Charts.Add
ActiveChart.ChartType = xlColumnClustered
ActiveChart.SetSourceData Source:=Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1:C6")
ActiveChart.Location Whe=xlLocationAsObject, Name:="Sheet1"
End Sub

Assuming your DB dump is on a new sheet, and applying some cleanup, this is
a workable macro:

Sub DB_Dump_to_Chart()
Dim rChartData As Range
Dim wsData As Worksheet

Set wsData = ActiveSheet
Set rChartData = wsData.UsedRange

Charts.Add
ActiveChart.ChartType = xlColumnClustered
ActiveChart.SetSourceData Source:=rChartData
ActiveChart.Location Whe=xlLocationAsObject, Name:=wsData.Name
End Sub

Naturally your recorded macro will be different, since you will record your
actions while creating the type of chart you want from the data. But make
the same kind of adjustments as I have made, and you should get a reasonable
macro.

For more on fixing up chart macros:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsH...kChartVBA.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"linda" wrote in message
hai!!
i need to create a chart from a dynamic table,meaning that the table is
auto-generated from database after clicking a button.This is my first time
using macro in excel, so i'm not really well in it.
my idea right now is using Chart.Add,but then i'm having problem on how to
define the cells selection(i must do "the do..loop statement" rite?)
ur help is very appreciated,tq!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

thank you for your reply..its works,but then..my range for SourceData is
dynamic,not static..so,i think i need to do 'the do while loop statement' but
i dont have any idea about the coding.

ur help is very appreciated,tq!

regards,
linda

"linda" wrote in message
hai!!
i need to create a chart from a dynamic table,meaning that the table is
auto-generated from database after clicking a button.This is my first time
using macro in excel, so i'm not really well in it.
my idea right now is using Chart.Add,but then i'm having problem on how to
define the cells selection(i must do "the do..loop statement" rite?)
ur help is very appreciated,tq!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

How does the data get updated? Isn't it some piece of code? What is the
sheet like after the update? Is the data table the only contents, or is
there more stuff? Is the address of the output range known to the update
code? The answer to your question is dependent on the answers to these (and
probably more).

- Jon
-------

"linda" wrote in message
hai!!
i need to create a chart from a dynamic table,meaning that the table is
auto-generated from database after clicking a button.This is my first
time
using macro in excel, so i'm not really well in it.
my idea right now is using Chart.Add,but then i'm having problem on how
define the cells selection(i must do "the do..loop statement" rite?)
ur help is very appreciated,tq!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

My SourceData should be expand as i add new rows or new columns or both and
it will update the chart.i've tried to use the offset function but its just
work for adding new row.Adding a new column does not effect the chart
created.i use OFFSET with a defined name.

date-refers to:=OFFSET($A$2,0,0,COUNTA($A$2:$A$200),1)
sales-refers to:=OFFSET($B$2,0,0,COUNT($B$2:$B$200),1)

i've try define another offset but it doesnt work.Got error 'the references
is not valid.References for titles,values,or size must be in a single
cell,row or column.

acData-refers to:=OFFSET($A$1,0,0,COUNTA($A:$A),6)

can these offset define in macro?if yes,where should i placed the code?

regards,
linda

"linda" wrote in message
hai!!
i need to create a chart from a dynamic table,meaning that the table is
auto-generated from database after clicking a button.This is my first
time
using macro in excel, so i'm not really well in it.
my idea right now is using Chart.Add,but then i'm having problem on how
define the cells selection(i must do "the do..loop statement" rite?)
ur help is very appreciated,tq!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

You're solving the wrong problem. This approach might be part of the
solution, but it's not clear yet. It would be easiest to incorporate a few
lines of code into the routine that updates the database. That's why I asked
those questions in my last post.

- Jon
-------

"linda" wrote in message
hai!!
i need to create a chart from a dynamic table,meaning that the table
is
auto-generated from database after clicking a button.This is my
first
time
using macro in excel, so i'm not really well in it.
my idea right now is using Chart.Add,but then i'm having problem on
how
define the cells selection(i must do "the do..loop statement" rite?)
ur help is very appreciated,tq!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I just select all from database..so,by time to time,there's may be a new
variable added..but i dont want to create a new chart..just update it.The no
of row alwalys increase cause new rows of data will be add everyday.
So,i will create an 'update' button on excel,and when i click it,it will get
the latest data from database,put it in a table in excel and automatically
create graph from the data in the table.

Regards,
linda

"linda" wrote in message
hai!!
i need to create a chart from a dynamic table,meaning that the
table
is
auto-generated from database after clicking a button.This is my
first
time
using macro in excel, so i'm not really well in it.
my idea right now is using Chart.Add,but then i'm having problem
on
how
define the cells selection(i must do "the do..loop statement"
rite?)
ur help is very appreciated,tq!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I see, no macro, it's a manual update.

Make sure the data range is clean, only data plus a header row with field
names, the categories (X-axis labels or values) in the first column, the top
left cell blank. Any other information in the sheet should be removed, or at
the very least separated from the data by a blank row or column.

Assuming you have only one chart on the worksheet, select a cell in the data
and run this macro:

Sub UpdateChartOnActiveSheet()
ActiveSheet.ChartObjects(1).Chart.SetSourceData _
Source:=ActiveCell.CurrentRegion, PlotBy:=xlColumns
End Sub

- Jon
-------

"linda" wrote in message
hai!!
i need to create a chart from a dynamic table,meaning that the
table
is
auto-generated from database after clicking a button.This is
my
first
time
using macro in excel, so i'm not really well in it.
my idea right now is using Chart.Add,but then i'm having
problem
on
how
define the cells selection(i must do "the do..loop statement"
rite?)
ur help is very appreciated,tq!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Jon,
i've tried to run the macro that you gave but i got error.
Run-time error '91':Object variable or With block varible not set.
this is my current coding in macro.

Sub CreateChart()
Charts.Add
ActiveChart.ChartType = xlColumnClustered
** ActiveChart.SetSourceData Source:=ActiveCell.CurrentRegion,
PlotBy:=xlColumns
ActiveChart.Location Whe=xlLocationAsObject, Name:="Sheet1"
End Sub

the error is on the line that i put **.

am i missing something that make it error?sorry cause i've no experience in
macro.
thanks~

Linda