-   -   Adding labels to a waterfall BAR chart (https://www.excelbanter.com/charts-charting-excel/148799-adding-labels-waterfall-bar-chart.html)

mr tom

Adding labels to a waterfall BAR chart

Chaps,

I've got a waterfall chart which is based on bars, not on columns. I.e. the
bars run from left to right.

This is fine until I try to add the labels, which using the Peltier method
involves adding an invisible line series.

And here's where the problem arises. Excel only does line charts
horizontally, not vertically, so I can't put it onto my waterfall.

Anybody got any ideas?

Andy Pope

Adding labels to a waterfall BAR chart

Hi,

Instead on Line series use an XY-scatter series. This will allow you to
control both the horizontal and vertical position of the labels.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"mr tom" <mr-tom at mr-tom.co.uk.(donotspam) wrote in message
Chaps,

I've got a waterfall chart which is based on bars, not on columns. I.e.
the
bars run from left to right.

This is fine until I try to add the labels, which using the Peltier method
involves adding an invisible line series.

And here's where the problem arises. Excel only does line charts
horizontally, not vertically, so I can't put it onto my waterfall.

Anybody got any ideas?

Jon Peltier

Adding labels to a waterfall BAR chart

For ideas on placing the XY points, look at the example of Dot Plots he

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/DotPlot.html

or the example of advanced Gantt charts with labels he

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/GanttChart.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Andy Pope" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks Andy.

I've tried this and it doesn't seem to work as whilst my waterfall runs on
one axis, the scatter still insists on running perpendicular to it.

Cheers,

Tom.

"Andy Pope" wrote:

[...]

Even when you provide X values that match the bar values and a equi spaced Y
values?

Cheers
Andy