Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default A mind of its own?

I'm trying to express this data as a simple scatter graph with points. It is for analysing car sales so I can bid at an auction. Usually when I try this it makes a scattering of data Price (Y), Km (X).. This time it groups it around a series of points which is meaningless to me.

There are 30 entries ranging from x 17,000 to 250,000 and (y) 4770 to 7170.

The Series entries are Name A,
=A!$B$3:$B$33
=A!$C$3:$C$33
This is the data:
92000 5470
55655 6470
88060 5020
17000 7170
82000 5920
94000 5570
96000 5600
64000 5570
91292 5720
114000 5020
89401 4770
90900 5470
114000 5270
250000 6470
97000 6520
83135 6420
57000 6570
31040 6420
114000 6120
79060 6670
92000 5470
90200 6620
84062 6620
118000 5470
97000 6520
92751 5170
113000 5570
114000 6020
66406 7120
85000 6320
78177 5870

What's going on here??????
Thanks John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

John -

Do any of the cells contain non-numeric values, that is, they look like
numbers but are formatted as text?

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"JohnH" wrote in message ...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
JohnH said:
I'm trying to express this data as a simple scatter graph with points.
It is for analysing car sales so I can bid at an auction. Usually when
I try this it makes a scattering of data Price (Y), Km (X).

What interesting features do you usually find in this scatter?

This time it groups it around a series of points which is meaningless
to me.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this sentence.

Have you tried excluding the point which is 250,000 km but only $6,470?
It seems to be an outlier, and maybe having to display that point on the
graph makes all the others look like they're clustered too closely for
you to read.

Try setting the upper limit of the x scale to 120,000, and see if that
pattern looks more familiar to you.

--
Del Cotter
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Had to enter data individually

I fixed it by copying the entries individually to each cell. Why would that be????

Another question: How do I Arrange a column in desecending order (lowest to highest value while retaining the corresponding value in the next column?
Thanks
John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

It looks as if you originally had numbers in some cells and text in others. Spaces and other non-printing characters can cause values to be treated as text when you intended them to be numbers. If you've got default alignment a tell-tale sign is that text is usually aligned to the left and numbers normally to the right, and that is what the example you posted looks like. =ISTEXT() and =ISNUMBER() can help you to tell, and another symptom is that if you try to change the number format (such as changing the number of decimal points displayed), then it won't affect text cells.

On the sorting question, select the range you want to sort, choosing the rows & columns you're interested in, then Data/ Sort/ Sort by whichever column. You'll have to choose between ascending and descending, but I think you'll find that descending goes from highest to lowest, not lowest to highest as you've described it.
--
David Biddulph
Rowing web pages at
"JohnH" wrote in message ...
I fixed it by copying the entries individually to each cell. Why would that be????

Another question: How do I Arrange a column in desecending order (lowest to highest value while retaining the corresponding value in the next column?
Thanks
John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
JohnH said:

Is their no way to change text to numbers other than re-enter?

You can export the entire column to text and re-import using "Text to
Columns". The numbers you published here on Wednesday imported as all
numbers with no anomalies.

--
Del Cotter