Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Dynamic Charts Problem

I did some googling this weekend and found lots of helpful advice on how to
make dynamic charts with named ranges and OFFSET, INDEX, and MATCH functions.
Anyway, I was able to successfully create the dynamic charts that I wanted by
pointing the series data at a named range. For instance the data range
represented on my x-axis is derived from the named variable "rChartDates"
which is defined as:

=OFFSET(allDates,0,MATCH(StartDate,allDates,1)-1,1,MATCH(EndDate,allDates,1)-MATCH(StartDate,allDates,1)+1)

This works fine and when I put a reference into my chart I put the following:

='F&O Analysis v2.1.xlsx'!rChartDates

This too works fine but when I close the spreadsheet and reopen it it has
lost all dynamic behavior and now the property of the chart looks like this:

=[0]!rChartDates

Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I have the exact same problem which I posted here a few days ago, but have
had no responses. There is another post here as well with what seems to be
the same problem with no replies. The problem is there but no one seems to
know what to do about it.

"Ken Snyder" wrote:

I did some googling this weekend and found lots of helpful advice on how to
make dynamic charts with named ranges and OFFSET, INDEX, and MATCH functions.
Anyway, I was able to successfully create the dynamic charts that I wanted by
pointing the series data at a named range. For instance the data range
represented on my x-axis is derived from the named variable "rChartDates"
which is defined as:

=OFFSET(allDates,0,MATCH(StartDate,allDates,1)-1,1,MATCH(EndDate,allDates,1)-MATCH(StartDate,allDates,1)+1)

This works fine and when I put a reference into my chart I put the following:

='F&O Analysis v2.1.xlsx'!rChartDates

This too works fine but when I close the spreadsheet and reopen it it has
lost all dynamic behavior and now the property of the chart looks like this:

=[0]!rChartDates

Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Another annoyance with this problem (I'd be interested if you can confirm
that you have the same behaviour), is that if you save to Excel 2003 format
and then open in Excel 2003 it pegs the CPU to 100% never to recover. :^(

Ken

"Ken Snyder" wrote:

I did some googling this weekend and found lots of helpful advice on how to
make dynamic charts with named ranges and OFFSET, INDEX, and MATCH functions.
Anyway, I was able to successfully create the dynamic charts that I wanted by
pointing the series data at a named range. For instance the data range
represented on my x-axis is derived from the named variable "rChartDates"
which is defined as:

=OFFSET(allDates,0,MATCH(StartDate,allDates,1)-1,1,MATCH(EndDate,allDates,1)-MATCH(StartDate,allDates,1)+1)

This works fine and when I put a reference into my chart I put the following:

='F&O Analysis v2.1.xlsx'!rChartDates

This too works fine but when I close the spreadsheet and reopen it it has
lost all dynamic behavior and now the property of the chart looks like this:

=[0]!rChartDates

Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

No, I didn't get the same behavior, though to be clear - I don't have 2003 on
the same computer where I have 2007 installed. I was told that having both
versions on the same computer can cause problems. So I used v 2007 to save
the file on my v 2003 computer and reopened it on the v 2003 box.

"Ken Snyder" wrote:

I did some googling this weekend and found lots of helpful advice on how to
make dynamic charts with named ranges and OFFSET, INDEX, and MATCH functions.
Anyway, I was able to successfully create the dynamic charts that I wanted by
pointing the series data at a named range. For instance the data range
represented on my x-axis is derived from the named variable "rChartDates"
which is defined as:

=OFFSET(allDates,0,MATCH(StartDate,allDates,1)-1,1,MATCH(EndDate,allDates,1)-MATCH(StartDate,allDates,1)+1)

This works fine and when I put a reference into my chart I put the following:

='F&O Analysis v2.1.xlsx'!rChartDates

This too works fine but when I close the spreadsheet and reopen it it has
lost all dynamic behavior and now the property of the chart looks like this:

=[0]!rChartDates

Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I have seen a similar problem, not with the original dynamic chart, but with
a copy made of a dynamic chart. If the dynamic names are scoped to the
workbook as yours are, the references to the workbook names are obliterated,
converted to [0]. The corrupted references can only be seen through the Edit
Source Data dialog, because the series formula is not longer displayed.

I discovered two things.

1. If you use worksheet-scoped names, this corruption doesn't occur.

2. If you save, close, and reopen the workbook with corrupted charts, the
corruption has healed itself, and the charts are as good as the originals.

I've also filed a very detailed bug report on this behavior.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Ken Snyder" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I may not fully understand your reponse but if I did then I'm not sure this
solves my problem. Basically what I do originally is specify something like:

=Data!rChartDates

Where "Data" is the tab that has the data in it. If I go back to the chart's
properties after making this change it has automatically updated the
reference to look like this:

='F&O Analysis v2.1.xlsx'!rChartDates

It will stay with this type of reference until i close the spreadsheet and
reopen. At which point i get the behavior I explained and the reference now
looks like:

=[0]!rChartDates

If i go in and replace the [0] with "Data" then it relinks and becomes
dynamic. THis, however, is not very <idynamic</i if you see what i mean. :^)

"Ken Snyder" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

When you define your range names in the first place, the dialog has a Scope
dropdown, which initially says Workbook. Pick the worksheet name (Data) from
this dropdown to define a worksheet-scoped name. This one wasn't corrupted
in my tests. The reference never changes to the workbook, but stays linked
to the worksheet.

- Jon
-------

"Ken Snyder" wrote in message
I may not fully understand your reponse but if I did then I'm not sure this
solves my problem. Basically what I do originally is specify something
like:

=Data!rChartDates

Where "Data" is the tab that has the data in it. If I go back to the
chart's
properties after making this change it has automatically updated the
reference to look like this:

='F&O Analysis v2.1.xlsx'!rChartDates

It will stay with this type of reference until i close the spreadsheet and
reopen. At which point i get the behavior I explained and the reference
now
looks like:

=[0]!rChartDates

If i go in and replace the [0] with "Data" then it relinks and becomes
dynamic. THis, however, is not very <idynamic</i if you see what i mean.
:^)

"Ken Snyder" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Jon,

I did as you suggested, but while the reverence doesn't get corrupted, the
graph still doesn't update to reflect the recalculated data in the named
range???

"Ken Snyder" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Is calculation set to manual? My charts take around 4 seconds to update when
I press F9 (they're based on RAND() to make them dynamic), but then I have
overloaded Excel: the file is 34 KB and I have 18 charts on the worksheet,
and no other worksheets.

- Jon
-------

"Ken Snyder" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I'll second Larry's findings but at least in my case there are some
interesting complexities in the dynamic behaviour where some named variables
refer to other named variables that may be on a different sheet (such as
"variables" and "rollups" sheets). So the workbook scope is actually much
more ideal (and the only one that really works right now).

One side question, why is that once a variable is created you can no longer
alter its scope? I have tons of variables and recreating, renaming, and
deleting them all to arrive at a more tightly scoped set of variables would
be daunting to say the least.

"Ken Snyder" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Calculation is set to automatic, I based first cell in each column on Rand()*0+
The cells (where the data resides) on the worksheet where the chart is
embedded reference other worksheets - on the other worksheets the first cell
in each column is also based on Rand()*0+

I have to admit, I'm not sure why the Rand() is now required, in Excel 2003
charting based on other worksheets was straight forward. Frankly, this feels
like a lot of nonsense.

"Ken Snyder" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I only based mine on RAND() so when I pressed F9 I'd get different data, not
to enforce some kind of update. I read about people having problems with
charts not updating, and I've never experienced it first hand. So I have no
relevant advice.

- Jon
-------