-   -   separating two years of data on one chart (https://www.excelbanter.com/charts-charting-excel/140749-separating-two-years-data-one-chart.html)

Nicole

separating two years of data on one chart

I have a chart with data from 2006 and 2007 in the same data source. I would
like to keep all this information in one line but need to be able to
differentiate from one year to the other. How do I do this?

John Mansfield

separating two years of data on one chart

One way to do so - try setting your data up like this:

Col A Col B Col C
2006 Jan 17
Feb 11
Mar 11
Apr 17
May 18
Jun 16
Jul 13
Aug 16
Sep 10
Oct 14
Nov 11
Dec 10
2007 Jan 13
Feb 16
Mar 17
Apr 15
May 15
Jun 13
Jul 15
Aug 18
Sep 16
Oct 17
Nov 18
Dec 18

Columns A and B make up your X-Axis. This works with Excel 2003 - haven't
tested but assume it works in 2007 too.

Alternatively, you could use an underlying XY Scatter Chart to create a line
that breaks between December 2006 and January 2007.

--
John Mansfield
http://cellmatrix.net