maryj

Default xy scatter x axis

I have a client trying to create an XY scatter chart. The values for the X
axis a 16000, 8000, 4000, 2000, 1000, 500, 250 and 125. They are numbers,
not text. He would like these values to be displayed in relation to the
amount between the different values. For example, 16000 and 8000 should have
more space between them than 250 and 125. Is there a way to do this?
--
maryj

maryj

We've been going back and forth between the XY and Line. It seems like he can
get part of what he wants with each of them but neither give him all that he
wants. I'm beginning to think that it can't be done, but just wanted to pick
the brains of all you charting gurus.

"maryj" wrote in message
I have a client trying to create an XY scatter chart. The values for the X
axis a 16000, 8000, 4000, 2000, 1000, 500, 250 and 125. They are

numbers,
not text. He would like these values to be displayed in relation to the
amount between the different values. For example, 16000 and 8000 should

have
more space between them than 250 and 125. Is there a way to do this?
--
maryj

Jon Peltier

Mary -

What part of it can't he get with a scatter chart? You can format the
series to look like a line chart series by selecting the option with
connecting lines, or by double clicking the series to reformat it.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

"maryj" wrote in message

I have a client trying to create an XY scatter chart. The values for the X
axis a 16000, 8000, 4000, 2000, 1000, 500, 250 and 125. They are

numbers,

not text. He would like these values to be displayed in relation to the
amount between the different values. For example, 16000 and 8000 should

have

more space between them than 250 and 125. Is there a way to do this?
--
maryj

maryj

The part he doesn't get is the spacing between the values on the x axis.
Since there is a larger decrease from 16000 to 8000 than between 250 and 125,
he would like the values 250 and 125 to appear closer together on the x axis
than 16000 and 8000 appear.

"maryj" wrote in message

I have a client trying to create an XY scatter chart. The values for the X
axis a 16000, 8000, 4000, 2000, 1000, 500, 250 and 125. They are

numbers,

not text. He would like these values to be displayed in relation to the
amount between the different values. For example, 16000 and 8000 should

have

more space between them than 250 and 125. Is there a way to do this?
--
maryj

Barb Reinhardt

I guess I'm confused. With an XY Scatter chart, you can get this. Are
each individual X value you listed the same distance apart now? If they
are, it's probably set up as a LINE chart.

"maryj" wrote in message

I have a client trying to create an XY scatter chart. The values for

the X
axis a 16000, 8000, 4000, 2000, 1000, 500, 250 and 125. They are

numbers,

not text. He would like these values to be displayed in relation to

the
amount between the different values. For example, 16000 and 8000

should

have

more space between them than 250 and 125. Is there a way to do this?
--
maryj

maryj

I guess I'm confusing myself, too :) It is an XY Scatter. The data source
identifies the correct range to be used for the X axis, but the labels for
the x axis, shows different numbers, ie. 0, 5000, etc. He wants the same
values to display as the X axis labels as the values in the data range -
16000, 8000, etc. Using a Line chart, he gets the x axis labels he wants, but
not, as you mentioned, the correct interval spacing. The XY chart, gives the
interval spacing but not the correct x axis labels. Hope that makes sense.

"maryj" wrote in message

I have a client trying to create an XY scatter chart. The values for

the X
axis a 16000, 8000, 4000, 2000, 1000, 500, 250 and 125. They are

numbers,

not text. He would like these values to be displayed in relation to

the
amount between the different values. For example, 16000 and 8000

should

have

more space between them than 250 and 125. Is there a way to do this?
--
maryj

Tushar Mehta

Stay with the XY Scatter chart. Create a 2nd series that has the same
x-values as the original data and zeros for the y-values. Remove the
x-axis data labels. For this dummy series show the data labels (x
values only). Position the labels to be below the series.

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article ,
says...

"maryj" wrote in message

I have a client trying to create an XY scatter chart. The values for

the X
axis a 16000, 8000, 4000, 2000, 1000, 500, 250 and 125. They are

numbers,

not text. He would like these values to be displayed in relation to

the
amount between the different values. For example, 16000 and 8000

should

have

more space between them than 250 and 125. Is there a way to do this?
--
maryj

John Mansfield

Maryj,

If it helps, I will post a detailed example of the solution that Tushar is
referring to on my website after I get home from work tonight. As Jon, Barb,
and Tushar mentioned the XY Scatter chart should work for you. The URL is
below.

----
Regards,
John Mansfield