Bob Richardson

Default shading certain months on time chart

I have several years of data - the x-axis is a time-scale. I'd like to have
the winter months of the year shaded - to make it easier to see the
seasonality in the data. Is there a way to pick a period each year (e.g.
Nov. 15 - March 15) which will be shaded?

Tushar Mehta

Here's how I would do it. For one application see the 'Overview by
Day' page of the newsgroup stats (http://www.tushar-
mehta.com/excel/ngstats/overview-daily.html)

Suppose the months are in column A and the y-values in column B as in:
1-Jan 6
1-Feb 8
1-Mar 11
1-Apr 10
1-May 13
1-Jun 11
1-Jul 9
1-Aug 16
1-Sep 12
1-Oct 14
1-Nov 12
1-Dec 19
1-Jan 17
1-Feb 21
1-Mar 19
1-Apr 20
1-May 20
1-Jun 24
1-Jul 28
1-Aug 24
1-Sep 21
1-Oct 22
1-Nov 25
1-Dec 25

Then, in column C (C1 specifically) enter the formula
=IF(OR(MONTH(A1)<=3,MONTH(A1)=11),MAX($B$1:$B$24) ,NA())

Obviously, you would adjust the above formula for your specific needs.
This one 'shades' Nov.-Mar.
Copy C1 as far down col. C as there is data in column B.

Plot A:C as a column chart. Click the plotted series corresponding to
column B. Select Chart | Chart Type... and change it to a Line chart.

Double-click the plotted series corresponding to col. C. From the
Patterns tab, set the border to none and the area to some light color.
From the Options tab set the Gap Width to zero.

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article , "Bob Richardson"
<bobr at whidbey dot com says...
I have several years of data - the x-axis is a time-scale. I'd like to have
the winter months of the year shaded - to make it easier to see the
seasonality in the data. Is there a way to pick a period each year (e.g.
Nov. 15 - March 15) which will be shaded?

Barb Reinhardt

If you want between November 15th and March 15th, you might need an equation
like this one.

=IF(OR(VALUE(MONTH(B1)&DAY(B1))1115,VALUE(MONTH(B 1)&DAY(B1))<315),B1,NA())

This is for data 11/15 and < 3/15.

"Bob Richardson" <bobr at whidbey dot com wrote in message
I have several years of data - the x-axis is a time-scale. I'd like to

have
the winter months of the year shaded - to make it easier to see the
seasonality in the data. Is there a way to pick a period each year (e.g.
Nov. 15 - March 15) which will be shaded?

John Cordes

Tushar Mehta wrote:
[...]

From the Options tab set the Gap Width to zero.

Just a quick question here. Why isn't the logical test required here
an AND rather than OR?

John

Barb Reinhardt

If you choose=November (11), you get Nov and Dec.
If you choose <=March (3), you get Jan, Feb, March.

If you select AND, you'll get nothing because there is nothing that is both
=11 and <=3. That would work for dates between June and September,

however.

"John Cordes" wrote in message
Tushar Mehta wrote:
[...]

From the Options tab set the Gap Width to zero.

Just a quick question here. Why isn't the logical test required here
an AND rather than OR?

John

Tushar Mehta

In article <dNoQd.47781$gA4.17299@edtnps89, says...

Just a quick question here. Why isn't the logical test required here
an AND rather than OR?

Consider any month between Jan (1) and Dec (12). What will be the
result of the test Mth <=3 *and* Mth =11?

Of course, if one reversed the test, the appropriate connector would be
AND. Hence, by the definition I used, non-Winter months would be
Mth 3 *and* Mth <11

Tushar Mehta wrote:
[...]

From the Options tab set the Gap Width to zero.

Just a quick question here. Why isn't the logical test required here
an AND rather than OR?

John

Bob Richardson

Nice idea Tushar - I've got the columnar chart looking pretty good. Is there
a way to control the width of the bars (e.g. set them all to "n" pixels
wide) while reducing the space between the columns to "y" pixels?

One more request. Is there a way to draw a horizontal line on the column
chart - to show the median?

"Tushar Mehta" wrote in message
[...]

From the Options tab set the Gap Width to zero.

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article , "Bob Richardson"
<bobr at whidbey dot com says...
I have several years of data - the x-axis is a time-scale. I'd like to
have
the winter months of the year shaded - to make it easier to see the
seasonality in the data. Is there a way to pick a period each year (e.g.
Nov. 15 - March 15) which will be shaded?

Jon Peltier

1. Double click on the columns, and on the Options tab, set Gap Width to
zero.

2. Horizontal line:

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Bob Richardson wrote:

[...]

From the Options tab set the Gap Width to zero.

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article , "Bob Richardson"
<bobr at whidbey dot com says...

I have several years of data - the x-axis is a time-scale. I'd like to
have
the winter months of the year shaded - to make it easier to see the
seasonality in the data. Is there a way to pick a period each year (e.g.
Nov. 15 - March 15) which will be shaded?

Bob Richardson

Thanks Jon,

I followed you all the way to the last step....then tripped :(

How did you get the average to appear in the secondary y-axis?
Do you take the value from the calculated field (in your little average
table) or did you "cheat" and just type it in the title of the y-axis?

How can you get that label to appear right at the height of the line.

The only way I could get a label there was to type in it, and it's displayed
in the middle of the y-axis, not right at the average.

Bob

Bob Richardson wrote:

[...]

From the Options tab set the Gap Width to zero.

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article , "Bob Richardson"
<bobr at whidbey dot com says...

I have several years of data - the x-axis is a time-scale. I'd like to
have
the winter months of the year shaded - to make it easier to see the
seasonality in the data. Is there a way to pick a period each year (e.g.
Nov. 15 - March 15) which will be shaded?

Tushar Mehta

You may also want to check
Straight lines
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/ch...nes/index.html

It has its advantages (and disadvantages) over the method Jon describes
on his web site.

Bob Richardson wrote:

[...]

From the Options tab set the Gap Width to zero.

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article , "Bob Richardson"
<bobr at whidbey dot com says...

I have several years of data - the x-axis is a time-scale. I'd like to
have
the winter months of the year shaded - to make it easier to see the
seasonality in the data. Is there a way to pick a period each year (e.g.
Nov. 15 - March 15) which will be shaded?

Jon Peltier

Bob -

That label is not on the secondary axis. It is a data label (Show
Values) for the point plotted at the average value along the right edge
of the chart.

- Jon
-------

Bob Richardson wrote:

[...]