Chaplain Doug

Default Making Special "Stacked Column" Chart

Excel 2003. I want to make a sort of hybrid "stacked column" chart. I have
two categories that make up income (regular and vision) and one expense
category. I want to make a stacked column with regular and vision income and
another column next to it with only expense. How would I accomplish this?
Thanks for the help.
Debra Dalgleish

If you stagger your data, you can create side-by-side stacked columns.

Bernard Liengme has an example and instructions on his site:
http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/E...ps/Columns.htm

and Jon Peltier has links to other sites with information:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsH...sterStack.html

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

John Mansfield

Doug,

An example - add the following data with the "Regular" heading in Cell B1,
the "Vision" heading in cell C1, and the "Expense" heading in cell C1. Add
the remainder of the data to include the total range A1:D7. When completed,
cells A1, D2, A3:C3, D4, A5:C5, D6, and A7:C7 will be blank.

Regular Vision Expense
2002 5 6
10
2003 3 8
9
2004 4 5
8

Select Cell A1, go to the Chart Wizard, and choose the stacked column chart.
Go through the prompts and you should end up with a chart like what you want
only the years will be offset to the left. Double-click on the X-Axis and
in the dialog box under the patterns tab select "none" for all of the tick
mark choices. Finally, use the drawing toolbar to add three text boxes to
the chart to represent 2002, 2003, and 2004. Align the text boxes in the
middle of each set of columns. You can then double-click on any of the
columns and in the "options" tab change the gap width to make the chart look
like it has even spacing between the columns.

----
Regards,
John Mansfield
http://www.pdbook.com

"Chaplain Doug" wrote:

Excel 2003. I want to make a sort of hybrid "stacked column" chart. I have
two categories that make up income (regular and vision) and one expense
category. I want to make a stacked column with regular and vision income and
another column next to it with only expense. How would I accomplish this?
Thanks for the help.

Chaplain Doug

Thanks, I was able to use the information. God bless.