-   -   hide formulas but can edit on the same cells (https://www.excelbanter.com/charts-charting-excel/112267-hide-formulas-but-can-edit-same-cells.html)

sara

hide formulas but can edit on the same cells

Hello,

How to I hide and lock the formulas that appear on A1 to A10 let's say,
without locking them? I need to be able to copy and paste the results so I
need to be able to click on them. I also need to share the document, but do
not want people to see the password nor manipulate them.

Thanks.

Debra Dalgleish

hide formulas but can edit on the same cells

You can hide the column, but if the sheet is not protected, people could
simply unhide the column to see its contents.
If the information is on a protected worksheet, people will be able to
see it, either by copying and pasting the data to another sheet, or by
using a password cracker to unlock the protected sheet.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

HEK

hide formulas but can edit on the same cells

Just an idea: split formulas and resulting values over two different sheets.
Put your formulas in a hidden/protected sheet A, copy the sheet to sheet B
(which is visible to the users), but in the corresponding fields where u had
the original formulas refer to the outcome values of the calculation in sheet
A. Of course the user can see it refers to a hidden sheet, and it isnt rock
solid (like Debra said they can crack it) but it shd be good enough to secure
against the average user. It wld also be no solution if you dont care so
much on protecting the formula for secrecey reasons but for users that
overwrite the cell contents, but at least in that particular case you can go
back to the hidden sheet and take the correct answers from there, albeit more
elaborative.

HTH