-   -   EXCEL Scatter Graphs (https://www.excelbanter.com/charts-charting-excel/101141-excel-scatter-graphs.html)

dcinc74

EXCEL Scatter Graphs

I am doing a graph for a statisrics class that involves sorting
information on bears from a collection of data I have.

I am to plot the age and weight on a scatter graph, which was no
problem, but the instructor wants us to designate which bears are male
and which are female, he suggested using X'S AND O'S.

My question is, How do I make specific symbols appear on the scatter
graph, it usually willl just show different colored plot points to
represent the data.

Thanks

--
dcinc74
dcinc74's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36738

David Biddulph

EXCEL Scatter Graphs

"dcinc74" wrote in
message ...

I am doing a graph for a statisrics class that involves sorting
information on bears from a collection of data I have.

I am to plot the age and weight on a scatter graph, which was no
problem, but the instructor wants us to designate which bears are male
and which are female, he suggested using X'S AND O'S.

My question is, How do I make specific symbols appear on the scatter
graph, it usually willl just show different colored plot points to
represent the data.

Format Data Series/ Patterns/ Marker
--
David Biddulph

Tushar Mehta

EXCEL Scatter Graphs

Presumably, you already have a column with gender information. Suppose that
is column D. Also suppose your data start in row 2 (row 1 being a header).
Then, in some unused column, in row 2, enter the formula =IF(D2={male
identifier},"X","O")

Now, use an add-in (XY Chartlabeler from www.appspro.com or Chart Tools from
www.j-walk.com) to add this column as a chart label.

Further optional refinement: Hide the marker (double-click the series, then
select the Patterns tab, then set the Marker to 'none'.) Finally, center
the data labels (double-click the data labels, select the Alignment tab, and
adjust the Label Position).

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions