Alain79

Thanks Dave for this information - It is the first consistant one I ever get
on this tiopic but I do not feal so safe with it...
I have already tried to stop the calculation by hitting the esc key - it
sometimes work, sometimes not...

If you are right, do you know another way to interrupt?
Is there any configuration parameter that would permit to modify the excel
behavior...
Is there a way to intercept the Grouping command by some code?

additional info: In my case, Excel tell very quickly "calculation 100%" but
then wait some more tens of seconds before finishing the grouping...

Thanks once more
Alain79

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
Just a guess...

xl2003 added some options to the =subtotal() worksheet function.

In earlier versions, =subtotal() would ignore the rows that were hidden by
filtering (data|filter|autofilter for example).

In xl2003, you can use =subtotal(10x,a1:a99) to ignore cells hidden

manually.

My bet is that is what causes excel to recalc.

The only way around it (that I know) is to change the calculation mode

before
and after--or even interupt the calculation in mid stream. I hit the

escape key
to interupt that calculation.

Excel will catch up when it can. Usually when I'm staring at the data and

my
fingers are off the keyboard/mouse. Watch the statusbar. If it says

Calculate,
excel hasn't finished.

Alain79 wrote:

HI

We are facing a consistant difference in real time behavior between
Excel 2003 behaviour and Excel 2000 behaviour in the usage ot the Group
function...

Using the exact same Excel file that have around 1000 lines with several
level of grouping, the time needed to group under level 1 or 2 is around

2
to 3 seconds with Excel 2000 while it is around 25 to 30 seconds with

Excel
2003. In both case the same function is quite immediat if we settle the
calculation mode to manual...

The same phenomenon can be seen if you ask for the group function on a

file
without any formulas while another big excel file with a lot of formulas

is
open at the same time but not active...

Is there something different than the calculation mode that should be
settled in Excel 2003 in order to get the same response time on group
function than in Excel 200? Any other information, experience about that
problem? Is it link to a different behavior of excel in front of

calculation
strategy?

Thanks for your help
Alain79